www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ultimate Bus Motor
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:24 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Needing to rebuild the Dormy's 2276, I decided that since the Green Bug sold, I will be building a brand spanking new motor! :-P

For the top end the heads are CB Performance Panchitos which are valved with 40 intakes and 35 exhausts, ported PLUS a match ported set of manifolds! The Jugs are CIMA 94 strokers.

For the bottom end the case is a bubble top aluminum, crankshaft is a counterweighted chromoly 8-doweled with a matching flywheel. The cam...

Though I have ran an Engle 120 cam for many years with "decent" results, I've had 2 of them go flat before. So searching for maybe a different brand I came across another Engle which claimed to be a "stump puller"! Thinking that it would be good for torque on a bus, I first asked about my intended use at the aircooled.net website. Well, was told that if I were to use that particular cam it would last about 3000 miles on it, being a strictly racing cam. So then it was recommended that I use a Web Cam #218 grind. The cam in any motor is what determines the power band, of course in conjunction with all other parts to make it perform at its best. Reading up on it the claim is that it will provide plenty of power between 1000 to 5500 rpm! Now what could possibly be better to have in a bus?!? :cool:

The Web Cam ain't by any means cheap! Probably the most expensive part in this build aside from the case! Also it is a "special order" item which states a build lead between 3 to 12 weeks! :shock:

As usual, I pretty much need to build this motor fairly quickly so I kindly asked if perchance they happen to have one just laying about on the shelf. As luck would have it they did! Had to wait a few days since it is vital to have new lifters with any new cam and they had to "match" them to it. But I just got the package... BEFORE any other parts arrived! \:D/

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Bus Motor
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:37 am 
Board Member

As you know Ivan I am also going to build a motor! You mentioned that cam to me a week ago.
I contacted aircooled.net and they recommended the same cam for my build.
I'm considering a 2007cc for the bus as I have been told it is a good reliable daily driver for a bus.
I laid out my parts list to them and John at aircooled said my combo is sound.
Since my 1915cc case is shot and much of the other parts are good I may build a 1915 for the SC!
The 94 Panchito heads look great and the jugs/pistons are good, I figured it is a good way to put them to use.
I still have some questions that I need answered, and I'm hoping ..... you Mr. Pyro, will assist me in my build!
It will be nice to follow your build!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:20 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

You know I'll help you out! :cool:

Picked up more parts today! :razz:

Hopefully the Webers and the Panchos will arrive soon! :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:03 am 
Board Member

Damn that looks very nice!

I'm guessing you ordered from aircooled.net
A couple questions if you don't mind.
When making my list i'm not quite sure on a few items
What brand are the pistons and jugs?
Which rods are you using?
What flywheel?
I'm using the same cam as you. Will my motor require a special cam gear?
Did you also get the Panchitos from aircooled?
I noticed they are $100 bucks less (a pair) at CB performance, that is where I got them before.
Right now CB is out of stock on the 90.5x78 and they are looking at 2 months out!!!
I'm going to check with aircooled for the heads.

Thx again

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:20 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I'd be guessing that aircooled.net as well as any other parts "supplier" would be also ordering from CB Performance just like you are. Though is always good to ask iffin they happen to have them on hand, I seriously doubt it. :???:

The jugs I got are from Car Craft in Riverside and are Mahle, which I though they weren't available any more! I guess the demand cause them to start making them again! Last few sets of pistons I've gotten in the past few years have been AA's. :-s