www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gues That Fault!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 pm 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Slayer wrote:
HBwesty wrote:
And here I thought it was a spun muffler bearing or a strained framastand

Hey HB.... Impossible.. I replaced the framastand and the muffler bearning before I left...Duh!! step away from the home brew! and give me some! :grin:

So, the pump had too much tension and put too much stress on the drive gear?? Was it a Brazilian pump? One of those sealed units?

yes! and only in for maybe 800 miles or less!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:03 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I hope you haven't thrown away that rod yet. We need to take a picture of it. Must have been a weak or soft piece of material to wear like it did. We need to see the distributor drive shaft too! :-k

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:12 am 
Board Member

here is a thought that you guys might have over looked. Are there any metal shavings at the bottom of that engine? I would drain that oil (if not done so already) to make sure the shavings don't kill the engine later down the road.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 am 
Little League Manager

When you put the pump in did you shim the pump at all? I remember when Bill helped me install mine we did measurements and shimmed the pump. Something to do with with the dual kads only need so much pressure in the lines. :smile:

Member #478
*SBS #16*

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

der58SC wrote:
here is a thought that you guys might have over looked. Are there any metal shavings at the bottom of that engine? I would drain that oil (if not done so already) to make sure the shavings don't kill the engine later down the road.

"Here's a thought", we were on the sand at Glamis! No right mind would have a thought to drain the oil to see if there were any shavings! :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:17 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

"Here's a thought", we were on the sand at Glamis! No right mind would have a thought to drain the oil to see if there were any shavings! :neutral:

My apologies for not making it obvious but when Chris got home? Did he check the oil? I know when out in the middle of Glamis there is no way to drain the oil unless you ask someone across the street if they have pan to drain the oil into.

Also couldn't you pull the dip stick to see if anything was on that?

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

He finally dropped me off at 10pm. I'm sure that like you and me, he had to put in a days' work too. I put in another 3 hours after work on getting the motor ready for a bolt on swap. THEN fix my dinner and soon after was ready to just about drop dead. Today I'll load it up on the Plump Truck along with jackstands and jacks and whatever else I may need, AFTER bowling. Once I get the Dormy back home, the very next step is dropping the Bug's engine to see WTH happened to it. Then, maybe I'll have time to break apart the stroker. But hey, I'm justy sayin'! :smile:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 am 
Board Member

wow I guess I have to be very clear on what I ask or suggest.

So Chris, have you had a chance to drain the oil or check the dip stick for any metal shavings that might be in the engine from the fuel pump rod failing? I know it has only been 2 whole days since this happened so it might be too soon but in your very busy life, have you had the time to check? :lol:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

How's YOUR truck running? :grin:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:59 am 
Board Member

I got home from my... 3 hour tour.... my 3 hour tour....(11 hours later) parked it in the driveway and there it sits.
I will check the eril 2nite k. k. and give an update. Also going to pull the dist. drive gear.

Ivan, not sure what happened to the rod, in all the confusion and it being passed around for all to see, not sure who ended up with it. Maybe it was left in Louis tool container. Maybe it will show up.

Ivan do you still want my truck (ford ranger sorry)to go out to swap engines? Also when are you going and do you need any help?
You mentioned that Wed. after work or something!

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
How's YOUR truck running? :grin:

My truck is running awesome thanks for asking. I am going to install my new steering damper tonight and then when my bumper uprights come in, I will install them too.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Slayer wrote:
I got home from my... 3 hour tour.... my 3 hour tour....(11 hours later) parked it in the driveway and there it sits.
I will check the eril 2nite k. k. and give an update. Also going to pull the dist. drive gear.

Ivan, not sure what happened to the rod, in all the confusion and it being passed around for all to see, not sure who ended up with it. Maybe it was left in Louis tool container. Maybe it will show up.

Ivan do you still want my truck (ford ranger sorry)to go out to swap engines? Also when are you going and do you need any help?
You mentioned that Wed. after work or something!

Though I didn't pull out my tool bag at Glamis, it might have ended inside it at "the top of the hill". Found an extra thing or 2 that wasn't there before!?! :???:

Anyway, not much of a change but will now call it plan "B". Just talked to Louis and we'll be meeting at my place at 11:30am. Decided to take at least half day off in order to do the swap during daylight. I'll have the motor and tools on the Plump Truck tonight so that as soon as he shows up, we'll be heading east! :cool:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:27 am 
Sunshine

der58SC wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

My apologies for not making it obvious but when Chris got home? Did he check the oil? I know when out in the middle of Glamis there is no way to drain the oil unless you ask someone across the street if they have pan to drain the oil into.

Also couldn't you pull the dip stick to see if anything was on that?

Why would you need an oil pan? Sand does a great job absorbing oil.

Isn't the fuel pump gear brass?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 am 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Why would you need an oil pan? Sand does a great job absorbing oil.

So true since I know first hand how fast Glamis sand soaks up oil. :???:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:34 pm 
SV2s Graucho

Dan the stock nazi wrote:
Isn't the fuel pump gear brass?

fuel pump rod goes onto wavy lobe part of the steel distributor drive shaft. but not on dynosoar 25 and 36 hp engines that have pump on side instead of on top.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 am 
Board Member

No metal on my dip stick, however the dist. drive shaft/gear will not come out :x , may need to pull the engine :x ,

hoping I will not have to split the case :x :x :x :x . Fuel pump rod is bent and the plastic base piece has a large section missing at the bottom..busted!!

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:45 am 
Board Member

oooh this sounds like so much fun Chris. How will you get the large plastic piece out? Pull the drain plate? Will this plastic piece fit? I want to know the secret to this. Maybe we can have a tech session on this AND do a write up for the NL?????

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:46 am 
Sunshine

Slayer wrote:
No metal on my dip stick, however the dist. drive shaft/gear will not come out :x , may need to pull the engine :x ,

hoping I will not have to split the case :x :x :x :x . Fuel pump rod is bent and the plastic base piece has a large section missing at the bottom..busted!!

Time to "split." ](*,)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 am 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Slayer wrote:

Time to "split." ](*,)

#-o

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Hate to say it but will anyway... Louis' bus also is suffering some issues so this seems to be "the year of the breakdown"! :sad:

Brightsidedly looking at it, could be just getting the worst out of the way early and will be smooth sailing for the rest. :-s

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next