www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: converting to 12v
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 pm 
Board Member

So as some of you might know, the SO42 is still 6v. I want to convert it to 12v but wondering what parts I need to truly look for. Besides the battery, bulbs, generator, regulator, fuel gauge, coil, and relay. What other items are needed? I heard that the starter can stay as 6v because it will not burn up the starter though I have a couple of starters already so not worried.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Post subject: Re: converting to 12v
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

der58SC wrote:
So as some of you might know, the SO42 is still 6v. I want to convert it to 12v but wondering what parts I need to truly look for. Besides the battery, bulbs, generator, regulator, fuel gauge, coil, and relay. What other items are needed? I heard that the starter can stay as 6v because it will not burn up the starter though I have a couple of starters already so not worried.

Go with the alternator instead of generator, I've used the 6v fuel gauge for years. The starter will work fine if you don't crank it too long, if you go with the 12v starter you have to change the flywheel.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am 
Board Member

I plan on using an alternator. Not too fond of the generator and the charging issues it has.

I have a 12v starter with a 6v gear on it so that is not a problem.

So the 6v gauge is not going to get burnt getting 12v of juice?

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 am 
Board Member

der58SC wrote:
I plan on using an alternator. Not too fond of the generator and the charging issues it has.

I have a 12v starter with a 6v gear on it so that is not a problem.

So the 6v gauge is not going to get burnt getting 12v of juice?

My camper was a 6v when I purchased it, switched to 12v about 15yrs age still running the 6v fuel gauge,
also ran the 6v starter for many years, then made the switch on the starter.
If you have a 6v choke, you might want to switch that out.
Wiper motor, or use a voltage drop to it. I don't use the wipers anyway, rainx is fine.

Glad you are considering keeping it stock height!!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am 
Board Member

Slayer wrote:

Don't try to change the subject :slap:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:55 am 
Sunshine

der58SC wrote:
Slayer wrote:

Why do you want to convert it? Six volt system works fine in most cases. It's usually bad grounds that giv it a bad rep. If you go to a 12 v flywheel you will have to clearance the bell housing of the trans. I find you go to a alternator or 12 v generators you will need to swap out the pedestal and use a different backing plate.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
der58SC wrote:
Slayer wrote:

Why do you want to convert it? Six volt system works fine in most cases. It's usually bad grounds that giv it a bad rep. If you go to a 12 v flywheel you will have to clearance the bell housing of the trans. I find you go to a alternator or 12 v generators you will need to swap out the pedestal and use a different backing plate.

I got so frustrated with the 6v. If there was a problem with starting the battery would give out really quick.
The 6v optima did help with that, my head lights were 50% brighter with the 12v, zero options for a decent stereo,
when busavaning you will not be able to have a CB radio, therefor all the jokes and trash talk will be about you!!
IMHO, 12v upgrade is only positive! Dan, I could be wrong, but I believe the 6v and 12v pedestals are the same??

BTY slam it!!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
Board Member

Didn't Wolfsburg West used to sell a wiper motor that had a 12 volt motor in a 6 volt "case"?

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm 
Board Member

I don't ever plan on driving it in the rain so I won't worry about the wiper motor.

The brightness of the lights SUCKS so driving at night scares me. Having a 12v system allows me to get a jump in the vent the battery dies.

As for the pedestal, they are different to allow for the bulkier side of the alternator clearance. I believe the backing plate is the same though.

I have 2 reasons why I want to convert it.

1- brightness of lights to see at night
2- ease of parts at parts stores in the event I need parts and a VW parts store is not close

I also have a really nice 12v stereo I want to use and the CB part Christy mentioned.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:13 pm 
Sunshine

Slayer wrote:
Dan wrote:
der58SC wrote:
Slayer wrote:

I got so frustrated with the 6v. If there was a problem with starting the battery would give out really quick.
The 6v optima did help with that, my head lights were 50% brighter with the 12v, zero options for a decent stereo,
when busavaning you will not be able to have a CB radio, therefor all the jokes and trash talk will be about you!!
IMHO, 12v upgrade is only positive! Dan, I could be wrong, but I believe the 6v and 12v pedestals are the same??

BTY slam it!!

The 12v generator is fatter, uses a different base.
I know that alternator kits come with a different backing plate has to do with offset I believe, but I could be wrong.
12 v is for sure an upgrade.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
Board Member

der58SC wrote:
I don't ever plan on driving it in the rain so I won't worry about the wiper motor.

Uh, you got advance clearance from the Big Guy Upstairs that raindrops will never fall while you are driving?
der58SC wrote:
The brightness of the lights SUCKS so driving at night scares me. Having a 12v system allows me to get a jump in the vent the battery dies.

Plus with 12 volt you can go with the LED headlights (VintageCarLEDs, I think...) that are getting rave reviews in the Bay Window forums on TS. I am considering those headlights for the '69 and I already have 12 volt....and H4s.
der58SC wrote:

I have 2 reasons why I want to convert it.
1- brightness of lights to see at night
2- ease of parts at parts stores in the event I need parts and a VW parts store is not close
I also have a really nice 12v stereo I want to use and the CB part Christy mentioned.

Good points. The last time I owned a 6 volt vehicle was in 1976, and even back then it was getting much harder to get 6 volt bulbs and other accessories.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 am 
Board Member

OB Bus wrote:
der58SC wrote:

Uh, you got advance clearance from the Big Guy Upstairs that raindrops will never fall while you are driving?

I know how to check the weather to see if there is a good chance of rain. If there is, I won't drive. If I am driving and it does rain, the wind pushes the rain off the windshield. Oh and rainX

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:51 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I have taken the gear out of my 6v Bus wiper motor and used it in a 12 v bug wiper motor, the shaft is different to hook on the linkage but the gear is the same size. I also added a switch in-line to use the 2 speed option along with the stock switch to turn it on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am 
Board Member

I have not removed the kick panel yet on the camper but wondering if the camper has 2 different relays...

Emergency flasher...

http://www.jbugs.com/product/211953227B.html

Turn signal flasher...

http://www.jbugs.com/product/211953215C.html

SV2s #436