www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: thermostat and louvers
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 pm 
Board Member

So question for all 4 that read this forum...

The thermostat and louvers that came with the engines when the vehicle was purchased new. Does anyone still run those? Were they always on the engines or did VW remove them at sometime (example in the late 70s)?

My father in law wants to get it all so he can install them but I told him I don't run them and never have. I know some run them so wanted to know what people do.

Thoughts?

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:16 pm 
Board Member

None of the 3 engines that have been in our buses since 2003 have had a thermostat. Louvers? No idea.
Did they originally have them? Probably.
Would a purist want them? Probably.
Have I noticed any difference? Not really.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:07 am 
Board Member

My father in law read an article how VW spent $1m on research of the thermostat and how it helps with the proper warming of the engine. That without this you get excessive wear on your engine shortening the life of the engine. I told him that being that his bus will be a weekend toy and not a daily I see no reason for this. I have yet to install a thermostat or the louvers or flaps (whatever you want to call them) in any of my engines. My only issue with my engines is driving them like it is a Jetta.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Are these what you are asking about? :???:

If they are, I have them on one or two of my motors but have ran without them for ages! Also, I can't even remember when was the first and last time I ever had a thermostat installed, let along working, on any air cooled engine!?! :-s

However, the flaps do help in directing the flow better than not having them, for cooling. SoCal being how it is, there's not much need for having a thermostat to help warm up the engine quickly. So, when I do have the flaps, the return spring keeps them open at all times. Joe's "ex"-engine seems to have worked just fine without them. I don't think I have any extras, will look but you can source them at the swaps if too concerned about not having them. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:54 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

My stock 68 Karmann Ghia had them and being 19/20 years old at the time I took them out and through them away. The rumor I was told was that you only needed them when running in cold climates so you engine would heat up properly, but that living in SOCA is wasn't necessary. I also cut out the deck lid air vents and put in a Orange rapid cool oil cooler because of that other rumor. :roll:

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am 
Board Member

yes that is what I am talking about Ivan. Yours seem to be welded open. Now that I think of it, Ivan is the only person I know that has had them installed. I am sure eventually he will source some out and install them. His first task he is going to do to the engine is convert it to a doghouse with offset cooler.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I welded mine in an effort to quiet the motor some by doing away with "rattles". Didn't make much difference. :sad:

Yes, doghouse cooler cools best but again, that motor did fine for Joe all the way to Havafew and back pulling a trailer even!!! :-o

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
I welded mine in an effort to quiet the motor some by doing away with "rattles". Didn't make much difference. :sad:

I have also welded them so they do not move and installed them in several engines I've had. they are supposed to help with flow while in the open position. I do not use the thermostat set up for fear it will not work properly and cause a overheating problem if it doesn't open properly.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:34 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:

Yes, doghouse cooler cools best but again, that motor did fine for Joe all the way to Havafew and back pulling a trailer even!!! :-o

My father in law has agreed to not worry about them for now but I just wanted to get other people's thoughts on them. I like your thinking Russel. I would fear that also.

SV2s #436