www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gen vs Alt
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 am 
Board Member

So with the issue that Chris is having with his generator, I started to wonder why people still run the generator? Just curious out of the 4 or 5 people that post on here, why are you running a generator or alternator?

I run an alternator due to it always charging the battery (from what I was told vs a generator) and that there is a built in regulator. So one less connection to fall off and fail. ALso every VW I have bought has had an alternator in it already.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Post subject: Re: Gen vs Alt
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:45 am 
Sunshine

der58SC wrote:
So with the issue that Chris is having with his generator, I started to wonder why people still run the generator? Just curious out of the 4 or 5 people that post on here, why are you running a generator or alternator?

I run an alternator due to it always charging the battery (from what I was told vs a generator) and that there is a built in regulator. So one less connection to fall off and fail. ALso every VW I have bought has had an alternator in it already.

Generators are pretty bullet proof and if you are going for a stock appearance they are a must for most years, especially if you are sticking with six volt.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I'd guess it is a personal experience thing with them. This discussion has been had for as long as the 2 have been around. Way back in '87 when I got my first Kalifohnya bus and turned it into 12 volts, I went with an alternator. After about five or seven of them, failing for one reason or another, not to mention blowing out fuses and bulbs due to EXTREME over charging, I went with a generator/regulator and have not looked back since! [-(

As long as you are not running 25 rally lights AND a huge 250 power amp stereo with eleven speakers and sub woofers, a good working generator will do just fine! :razz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:15 pm 
Board Member

I will keep my genny! When you have a good one they last and last and last and last

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231