www.sv2s.com
http://sv2s.com/community1/

Shift rod installation
http://sv2s.com/community1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3341
Page 1 of 1

Author:  miranda_65 [ Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:47 am ]
Post subject:  Shift rod installation

I'm trying to replace my rear shift coupler but the shaft coming out of the tranny and the rear shift rod are not lining up. The tranny side is lower down by about a quarter inch. Any advice on how to get them to line up would be appreciated.

Author:  Turbo_g [ Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

Call Ivan?

Author:  pyrOman [ Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

You have a "sagging" transaxle mount. Short of replacing that too, just jack up the transaxle some, enough to align the rods. Install the coupler, secure it with the square head bolts, then release the jack. I am assuming you already have the front of the rod loose at the shifter. That makes it much easier to jiggle both rods together with the coupler. Good luck! :cool:

Author:  miranda_65 [ Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

Thanks Ivan, weather permitting I will give that a try tomorrow

Author:  Dan [ Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

miranda_65 wrote:
Thanks Ivan, weather permitting I will give that a try tomorrow


Next step after sagging is breaking mount.
Eddie had the same issue with a new mount, maybe the new mounts are garbage? Imagine that.
I like to drill a hole through the mount, through both sides of the metal that sandwich the rubber, and run a 10mm bolt at the flats and nut through it to keep it together. It's an old hot Rodger trick to keep your motor mounts from tearing. The rubber will still do its buffering thing but it won't separate even when the rubber inevitably cracks.

Author:  Slayer [ Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

pyrOman wrote:
You have a "sagging" transaxle mount. Short of replacing that too, just jack up the transaxle some, enough to align the rods. Install the coupler, secure it with the square head bolts, then release the jack. I am assuming you already have the front of the rod loose at the shifter. That makes it much easier to jiggle both rods together with the coupler. Good luck! :cool:


Don't forget to wire the securing square head bolts on after you tighten them!!
After I recently changed mine it made a HUGE difference no more shifting slop!

Author:  miranda_65 [ Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

Shift rod is installed and shifting smoothly. I'll deal with the transmission mounts after BBB.

Author:  Fish [ Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shift rod installation

Dan wrote:
miranda_65 wrote:
Thanks Ivan, weather permitting I will give that a try tomorrow


Next step after sagging is breaking mount.
Eddie had the same issue with a new mount, maybe the new mounts are garbage? Imagine that.
I like to drill a hole through the mount, through both sides of the metal that sandwich the rubber, and run a 10mm bolt at the flats and nut through it to keep it together. It's an old hot Rodger trick to keep your motor mounts from tearing. The rubber will still do its buffering thing but it won't separate even when the rubber inevitably cracks.

Good tip, thanks Dan. =D>

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/