www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dead Cam
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:55 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

After all the sh!t I've gone through as of late with the Dormy's 2276, throwing into it everything and a couple of kitchen sinks, a thought came to mind a couple of days ago. What if what I have is a dead cam? :-k

I believe it just got confirmed. The 120 spec sheet states .435" (ex) & .397" (in) lift. Readings taken from the lobe nearest to the cam gear are as follows: .437" ; .377" ; .346" ; .427" :-s

Time to split this case! :roll:

Post subject: Re: Dead Cam
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:44 am 
Board Member

could you do us all a favor and show in pictures what you mean? How are you measuring?

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:46 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Had but less than a couple of hours yesterday, so no time to docu-pix it for you. Measured valve lift with an indicator. At the very least, both the intake should measure the same as well as both exhaust. Will take pix of the cam once I split the case. Already have the heads off and will split it by tomorrow for sure. :neutral:

Have had a stroker short block together for some time already but was waiting for resurfaced heads. will throw in the jugs and heads on it just to get the Dormy going. Had installed the Bug's motor on it but even with the 100 cam and better carburation, it's still a 1600 and just plain not enough power for my taste. :-/

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:52 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

The motor was behaving as if it was idling on just 2 cylinders... on opposite sides!!! :shock:

Was bucking like a wild bronco! Once "opened up" it would jump into power but "cruising" was out of the question. These flat four cams only have 4 lobes so each lobe works for both sides. So a bad lobe will affect opposite cylinders. :sad:

I should have thought of this way back, or at the least last weekend when I spent it trying a bunche different things and nothing worked. #-o

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:41 am 
Sunshine

How many miles on the cam?

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:11 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Dan wrote:
How many miles on the cam?

Will get back to you on that, however, check this out! :shock:

Back when I built my second 2276, I bought a new 120 cam. That is the cam that just went dead! Now, having this issue, I had a short block put together using a 78mm crank AND the old original 120 cam from the first 2276. Was only needing heads for it so I used the current heads on it. Well, just yesterday I got it to fire up, dialed it in and though it felt good and strong, discovered a forkin CRACK on the case right around the oil galley! :sad:

Of course I ain't about to throw in a leaky assed engine in the Dormy. So I just opened it back up and measured the old 120 cam. Here's the lobes from the gear back: 0.432" 0.416" 0.416" 0.432" All measurements are within +/- 0.001" :???:

Both cams are Engle and should be identical. However the "newer" one has worn out something seious and the old one is still in good shape. The old one even took me to Floriduh and back, a trip of almost 8,000 miles in only 20 days of actual driving!!! :-k

Will post some pix for William tomorrow. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:58 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Ok! So the aluminum cased 2276 is back into one piece with the old tried and true 120 cam. Fired up and it's idling much better than before. Will be throwing it in the Dormy between Wednesday and next weekend. :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Alright, pix away! :-P

First, cam related. Flat cam:

Keen eye will notice the worn shape of the intake lobes.

The lifters also look to have different wear.

Measuring the lobes proves the excessive wear!

The older cam proved to be still in great shape! :cool:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 am 
Board Member

thanks Ivan. I was thinking it was the opposite when measuring.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:22 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Now the magnesium case stroker after running for a bit, just oozing oil right through the side of it! :sad:

At first I though the sender needed a bit more torque but after cleaning the area the crack became obvious! :x

In hindsight guess I could say this was "good", because I had also use the old set of 94mm Mahle jugs which I knew one cylinder had a very small crack in it but though I looked for it while putting this together, I didn't not see it. Well, after taking it apart it became quite obvious too! :roll:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

der58SC wrote:

:-s What do you mean? :-s

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:30 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Now, aside from all that, here's what happens when you forget to install a retainer circlip on a piston and go your merry way driving for many miles AND years! :shock:

This one is from the Bug's 1600 engine. I'll have to go back into the archives to figure out just how long did I took it apart and put together. I do know it was a very long time! :oops:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:31 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

He was probably thinking that you would zero at the low spot and go up from there, to measure the "lift". But you know that there are a hundred ways to skin a cat.....

Shawn
Member #420
'65 SC (now Louis's)
'68 Westy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

coolerthanelvis wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

He was probably thinking that you would zero at the low spot and go up from there, to measure the "lift". But you know that there are a hundred ways to skin a cat.....

The case being made of aluminum, there's hardly a spot where you can secure the magnetic base good enough to hold steady. So it is easier for the indicator to go from "stressed" to release rather than the other way around. Though I managed a couple of times, there was also some "back lash" of about 0.001" when reversing the motion. Thus my +/- 0.001" uncertainty on the measurement. :cool:

He may also have confused the term of valve "lift" since the push rod is pushing the valve open rather than lifting. So when measuring at the valve spring is a "downward" force instead of a lift. :smile:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:01 pm 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
coolerthanelvis wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

The case being made of aluminum, there's hardly a spot where you can secure the magnetic base good enough to hold steady. So it is easier for the indicator to go from "stressed" to release rather than the other way around. Though I managed a couple of times, there was also some "back lash" of about 0.001" when reversing the motion. Thus my +/- 0.001" uncertainty on the measurement. :cool:

He may also have confused the term of valve "lift" since the push rod is pushing the valve open rather than lifting. So when measuring at the valve spring is a "downward" force instead of a lift. :smile:

Both are right. This is why I asked for pictures since it would help not only me but anyone else who might be afraid of asking.

SV2s #436