www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bastard-less?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

So, been meaning to take juan of the many engines in my overgrown stash and get it going in order to install it in the Bug and then rebuild its engine. Finally took the first step this past weekend. Looked at what I have and picked up this grungy dirty very early engine that at least spun. Well, it did spin but only a third of the way, each way. Since this "third" felt fairly good, decided to take it apart to find out what was causing the "lock". :-k

It is a 40 horser and was a bit aprehensive about it since I've done a bastard before and it was not a fun deal at all. The engine is mostly complete, basically a long block including single port intake manifold and 28PICT-1 bicycle carburator. I think I got it from Eddie and came off the beetle he got from Aridzona. This thing had dirt INSIDE the valve cover!!! :shock:

Anyway, figured the "lock" was either rust or crap built up in a cylinder and/or a stuck valve. So "off with its heads!!!" First head came out and I thought "Wow! this thing looks like new!!!" :-o

But then I removed the other juan. :sad:

At that point though, it spun easily all the way! Also managed to get the valves moving by simply pushing them down by hand. Now figured it will take a good cleaning and resealing to make for a half decent spare engine! The bearings don't look terribly bad and the case journals look to be fair also. Here's the rest of the unclean mess:

40 horser jugs

Case

Carb

Pile