www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:30 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I have been battling oil leaks since I built the new engine and no matter what I do, I can not stop them. I have oil coming from the valve covers, the main seal, and the pulley. If I go for a qick drive, there is very little, but anything longer I will have a puddle coming from between the engine and tranny and a decent amount around the pulley. I did pull the engine and check the rear seal, which was not seated all the way, so I set it in (1/16" past flush), but after a long drive, i still get leaks.

Doing some research, I have found that the stock breather and/or non-stock air cleaner can not handle the case pressure of higher engines. So, before I go pulling the engine again, I was thinking of adding a venting system.

The question I have for the guys with the bigger engines is, do you agree with the possibility that I may need to add a venting system? Do you run a venting system and if so, what type?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 am 
Board Member

I don't believe there will be any issues if you "over" vent. I used to run a 1776 in a bug that had the standard venting through the alt stand. Nothing added and had no issues.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:43 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Post a picture of the " venting" you have now. :-k

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

The only venting I have now is a hose from the stock generator stand to the air cleaner (not stock air cleaner).

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:19 pm 
Board Member

you don't have enough chrome on that engine. That's your problem. :lol: :lol:

For the record I had the same venting on my 1776 and had no issues. I am not saying that the problem is not the venting though.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I tried but Ivan wouldn't let me. :grin:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:11 pm 
Sunshine

CPO_05 wrote:
I tried but Ivan wouldn't let me. :grin:

On built engines vented valve covers are pretty standard and you can get a breather box for them, too. On little Okrassa 36hp engines built out to just under 1300 cc they used vented covers. I also would dual carb that thing, STAT! That little single throat 34 PICT is like wearing a tight collar while running the Boston Marathon, you are choking the heck out of it. Dual carbs, even Kads, will give you a world of better performance.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 am 
Board Member

this should be good enough...

http://www.jbugs.com/product/8544.html

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:49 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I was looking at that exact one last night. I still have my JBugs gift certificate I got from our Christmas party. :grin: I think you are right in that I can't over vent, so I am going to order the kit, install, and see what happens.

Dan: That carb is actually a H30/31 and I can tell I am choking the crap out of it. The idle sucks and my gas mileage is even worse. I got a set of dual carbs from Bill, I just have to order some rebuilt kits for them. I will search for those tonight as well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:41 am 
Board Member

If I was going to the club meeting I would offer to do some shipping for you but I will not be there. :sad:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:57 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

der58SC wrote:
this should be good enough...

http://www.jbugs.com/product/8544.html

=;

[-X

[-(

BTDT! You'd be wasting your $$ on moving the mess from one place to another. :roll:

Horse beat to death here: Engine Breather
:neutral:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Ivan, good thread and has me thinking. I was looking around for the one in your picture and found one straight from CB Performance: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDet ... tCode=1771

Reading about them on the Samba, the only issue people have with these is that the breather tubes are on the bottom so when you fill with oil, oil drains down the tubes into the valve covers. Not bad unless the lines get clogged and they don't breathe anymore. The suggestion is to plug those lines and run lines to the top. Don't want to modify something if I don't have too...

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm 
Board Member

how the heck are those huge hoses going to get clogged? :shock:

I know a few people that run the breather that I posted and have seen the other breathers. I would rather have the oil drip back into the case and not in the carbs.

I am a person that has no experience in this area. Like I said before, I ran the stock "breather" and that was enough for my 1776.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:02 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

der58SC wrote:
how the heck are those huge hoses going to get clogged? :shock:

I know a few people that run the breather that I posted and have seen the other breathers. I would rather have the oil drip back into the case and not in the carbs.

I am a person that has no experience in this area. Like I said before, I ran the stock "breather" and that was enough for my 1776.

I guess if you keep the lines straight enough to prevent the "P-trap" from forming, then they wouldn't get clogged. I too hate the oil coming into the carbs as that is how it is now and my air cleaner is caked with oil.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:45 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!! :newnanna:

The stock breather hose going into the stock oil bath filter by nature is taking oil into the carb. :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

So my wife send me this photo and the first thing I notice is the style of breather box he is using... :grin:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:34 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Alright smartass, 1st - EMPI :roll: and 2nd - look closely and you'll see it isn't connected to anything! [-X

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I'll tell you more even! When you see one at the store, take a closer look at it. It's just "open", without any baffles or filter. That allows for the case pressure to blow into it. Though that is its purpose, the poor design also allows the oil to puddle up in the box and will NOT drain back down until the level of the puddle gets to about half an inch deep! Pressure blowing into the puddle then pushes the oil over the top. Yes, now you still have the same oily mess though in a different place as before, or more like all over the place if you installed the box near the cooling fan. :roll:

But hey, go ahead, get it, install it, hose it, and prove me right! :razz:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 am 
Board Member

hey Ivan, how deep is the oil in the stock oil bath filter?

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:30 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Ivan, didn't say i was going to buy it, just thought it was funny that he was running this big of an engine and using the cheaper breather box. :grin:

I agree with what you are saying about the baffles and the ability of the oil to drain back into the case. I do see that in your thread you used two different styles, one was the tall CB performance style tower and the other looked to be just a round extension of the oil fill port. Do you recommend one over the other or do they fit a certain style of engine? I am leaning towards the CB Performance tower...