www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Front Disk Brakes
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:22 am 
Lurking

So who makes the best bolt on (no mod) front disk brake system for wide five pattern split buses?

SV2s #425
"Craig from LA"

Post subject: Re: Front Disk Brakes
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:19 pm 
Board Member

If you have $1400. I know there are less expensive ones out there.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... =211698501

for your viewing pleasure

https://www.google.com/search?q=front+d ... 31&dpr=0.8

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

^^^ :smt045 ^^^

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:56 pm 
Webmaster

Slayer wrote:
If you have $1400. I know there are less expensive ones out there.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... =211698501

for your viewing pleasure

https://www.google.com/search?q=front+d ... 31&dpr=0.8

=P~ :biggrin:

SV2s Member #239
1963 Camper - Dormobile(Almost)
1957 Single Cab
1965 Apache Trailer - Silver Eagle

"Camping, cheaper than therapy" - Bill May

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:02 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

NEXT!!! :-P

Out with the old, in with the new! :cool:

Now, as it is usual with any "quick half day bolt-on job", an issue with the studs being incompatible with the old school empi style 5-spoke wheels! :roll:

Supplied studs are 12mm thread into the rotors and 14mm thread for bus nuts. However, the wheels use 14mm thread into the drums with 1/2"-20 fine thread for the nuts!?! :sad:

Attempting to correct this situation with a few different options. :-k

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 am 
Board Member

just curious as to if this would be a problem with stock wheels? I would think not but just want to make sure. After my near miss the other day, I am thinking disk brakes are the next big purchase.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I believe they are compatible with 14" bus wheels. Think I saw that in the paperwork but will check. Anyway, it's the same setup that JJ did way back when and he was running stock wheels, though they may have been 15"s!?! :???:

Got some 12mm x 12mm studs from veeparts. Hopefully the nuts we got from Randee will work!!! :-s

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:59 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Done! Looks just the same as before. Only a keen eye will spot the disco! :cool:

Got brakes? :razz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Looks great. What kit did you/Greg get? Looks simple enough to install.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Same as we did for JJ way back when. Fairly simple to install alright. Good set of instructions but also helps to have a good clue of what you're doing as well as having proper tools and a place to do it. :cool:

The swap itself took less than 6 hours or so. The details (more like issues) to make the old school EMPI rims fit took some doing. As usual, a simple swap turned into project, as we've all known. :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:45 am 
Lurking

Damn! I can't wait to drive it. (hurry and heal broken foot, hurry!!)

Thanks for the help Ivan, you are a true friend.

SV2s #425
"Craig from LA"

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:56 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Alright, "short story LOOONNNGGG!!!" 8-[

After doing this job for Turbo_g and experiencing the effortless of braking with the Hatch, I was wondering if the Dormy could be made to do that also. Though I can make the Dormy stop almost on a dime, I really have to lay HEAVY on the pedal for that to happen. So, after the Hatch got a new master cylinder I asked Turbo_g to let me have the old leaky one to try it out on the Dormy. The "jerk" would not let me have it.... so he ordered a brand spanking new german one at veeparts and had me pick it up! :oops:

Now, like an idiot :roll: , I decided to do the swap this past weekend JUST BEFORE the Havafew trip!!!! #-o

Worked the weekend so I only had but a few hours to do this both Saturday and Sunday. However, as soon as I started the project a grave issue came up! Who says "size doesn't matter?" Well, it does! The beautyful new german master cylinder is simply too long and would be in the way of the Dormy's massIVe sway bar! :sad:

All is not lost though. Having started the project I figured something must be done now. I had bought a new $20 master cylinder a while back at one of the many shows so decided to use it instead. I believe it is a Bug master since it came with 2 "hose ports" for the fluid supply instead of a reservior. Had also bought (or found, can't quite remember now) a Volvo reservior that fit nearly perfect on top of the Bug master. That is the one you see pictured here. Had to re-route the brake lines since the old master had them coming into the other side, but managed to get them on. Bled the air out of the lines and took it for a spin. Though it was raining so the road was way wet, managed to lock up the front tires a lot but definitely with a lot LESS effort as before!!! \:D/

Had read in some "brake" threads in thedrambadotcom's forums about the "volume" issue between the masters and pressure needed to brake. The "late bus" master is a lot wider (more volume) than the Bug one but it does use a vacuum booster which I was not using. Had been considering getting a rebuilt one but it required some fabrication to install it properly. So, now I finally have some relief for my leg when braking! :cool:

The residual result of all this is that now I have a brand spanking new german '67 dual circuit master cylinder which I will not be able to use. So, is up for grabs at just below cost to any club member needing/wanting one, or I can try to return it at veeparts for at least credit towards future purchases. :???:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:07 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
Alright, "short story LOOONNNGGG!!!" 8-[

After doing this job for Turbo_g and experiencing the effortless of braking with the Hatch, I was wondering if the Dormy could be made to do that also. Though I can make the Dormy stop almost on a dime, I really have to lay HEAVY on the pedal for that to happen. So, after the Hatch got a new master cylinder I asked Turbo_g to let me have the old leaky one to try it out on the Dormy. The "jerk" would not let me have it.... so he ordered a brand spanking new german one at veeparts and had me pick it up! :oops:

Now, like an idiot :roll: , I decided to do the swap this past weekend JUST BEFORE the Havafew trip!!!! #-o

Worked the weekend so I only had but a few hours to do this both Saturday and Sunday. However, as soon as I started the project a grave issue came up! Who says "size doesn't matter?" Well, it does! The beautyful new german master cylinder is simply too long and would be in the way of the Dormy's massIVe sway bar! :sad:

All is not lost though. Having started the project I figured something must be done now. I had bought a new $20 master cylinder a while back at one of the many shows so decided to use it instead. I believe it is a Bug master since it came with 2 "hose ports" for the fluid supply instead of a reservior. Had also bought (or found, can't quite remember now) a Volvo reservior that fit nearly perfect on top of the Bug master. That is the one you see pictured here. Had to re-route the brake lines since the old master had them coming into the other side, but managed to get them on. Bled the air out of the lines and took it for a spin. Though it was raining so the road was way wet, managed to lock up the front tires a lot but definitely with a lot LESS effort as before!!! \:D/

Had read in some "brake" threads in thedrambadotcom's forums about the "volume" issue between the masters and pressure needed to brake. The "late bus" master is a lot wider (more volume) than the Bug one but it does use a vacuum booster which I was not using. Had been considering getting a rebuilt one but it required some fabrication to install it properly. So, now I finally have some relief for my leg when braking! :cool:

The residual result of all this is that now I have a brand spanking new german '67 dual circuit master cylinder which I will not be able to use. So, is up for grabs at just below cost to any club member needing/wanting one, or I can try to return it at veeparts for at least credit towards future purchases. :???:

pm me the cost plz?

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:12 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

It's yours! ;-)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:34 pm 
Board Member

I have a '67 with a leaky MC. I fail to look at the site for maybe 18 hours and I lose out on a new German MC.

Crap.

OK if ChrisSlayer flakes I'd be happy to be next in line......

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:02 am 
Board Member

OB Bus wrote:
I have a '67 with a leaky MC. I fail to look at the site for maybe 18 hours and I lose out on a new German MC.

Crap.

OK if ChrisSlayer flakes I'd be happy to be next in line......

Don't think I will flake!!

Thanks Pyro! see you Thurs. morn to go to BBB baby!!!

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:37 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Just came across this pix in thedrambadotcom's gallery. Though it shows a phatchick, the principle is the same since it applies to disc brakes. Will have to get a pressure gauge and proper fittings to do this. :-k