www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:11 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

OK...I'm just venturing into the land of v-dubs beyond the land of the 1600cc. Never had anything near a stroker. However, I'm looking into one, doing my research and keep coming across this term. Call me a SILLIE WILLIE, but not ignorant, I know I don't know and am asking. Help me stave off ignorance....can anyone explain what this term really means and how it affects an engine's performance, without having to write a dissertation.
Thanks...

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:59 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

In the shortest terms I can think of, you are opening up the oiling system so that you can place a filter or cooler or both (most often) 'into' the normal flow of the oiling system. The new components are placed directly between the oil pump's output and the path to the engine's oiled components.

Perhaps it gets its name from the fact that if you incorporate a cooler, the 'full flow' of oil passes through it - unlike in a standard case where the oil control valves may bypass the cooler . . . just a thought. Perhaps because you are directing the 'full flow' of oil.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

gerg wrote:
In the shortest terms I can think of, you are opening up the oiling system so that you can place a filter or cooler or both (most often) 'into' the normal flow of the oiling system. The new components are placed directly between the oil pump's output and the path to the engine's oiled components.

Perhaps it gets its name from the fact that if you incorporate a cooler, the 'full flow' of oil passes through it - unlike in a standard case where the oil control valves may bypass the cooler . . . just a thought. Perhaps because you are directing the 'full flow' of oil.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. The motor (lightly used) that I'm looking into has a remote oil filter. I'm not sure, but I was thinking about adding one on, since it is a larger motor, 2165, i was thinking that a remote oil cooler would help to keep running cool on longer trips...

So it doesn't have anything necessarily to do with the machining of the case?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Some, yes. There is an oil gallery that is plugged in a standard case, and most times that plug is removed and the case is machined for pipe threads so the return fitting can be installed.

Location is below - the brass 90* elbow with the blue nipple in it.

This is where the oil re-enters the engine.

There are other methods sold to get the oil back in without machining but I have read some negatives about them on other sites.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Yes, the motor I'm looking at has the remote filter in the same location. Nice to know...

Now if I wanted to run an additional oil cooler, where would you recommend to locate it and how should it be ran?

Thanks for the info BTW

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:05 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

There are several ways to accomplish this, and many opinions to boot.

I think that in the general scheme of things, most installations go from the engine to the oil filter, then on to an external cooler. Some include a thermostat that will bypass the cooler if the oil is not hot enough to require the cooler. And lastly, a thermostatic switch to control power to the fan on the cooler (if equipped) - again, based on the oil's temperature. Normally the fan thermo switch, and oil bypass are triggered around 180*

I would search threads here and on other sites for pictures and recommendations. I placed my cooler forward of the transmission under the cargo area of the bus. Some get crafty and put them closer to the tranny, under the bus. Still others choose to put a smaller cooler inside the engine compartment. There are tons of opinions either way. On a bus, I work my options in the order I listed, but that, again, is my opinion.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:15 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

GERG....on a side note.Over in the restoration section, I was inquiring about paint. Hudman said that you got a paint job done by a guy named Carlos. hudman posted pics of a sick SC that was painted by him. hudman said carlos also painted your bug. I was wondering what price $$$ neighborhood his work is in? Hudman mentioned in the 3000-4000$ range for that dove blue SC...true? any thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:15 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Yes, resurrecting a very old thread, but didn't want to start another one just to post this picture. :neutral:

I like this fitting set up much better than what I have which is more bulky. :-k