www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:48 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Well, actually that isn't the question at all since I will IRS'd the Dormy anyway. :razz:

However, here's where I'm at right now. The Dormy's tranny is just "this much" from going KABOOM. So I decided to do the IRS'ing but that project is going to take some time and I can't put it OOC for too long at this time. That said, I want to just swap the center section for now until I get all the needed parts for the IRS job. :smile:

I went tranny hunting Sunday and found 2. One is for the IRS setup, a "single side plate" stuper beetle tranny which the Professor says is a 3.88. The other one came out of a '70 or so fuel infected squareback. This one looks to be a very recent rebuilt but it's also an IRS item. My question then is, if it can be "modified" to swing axle and if so, what exactly do I have to do to accomplish this? :???:

Is there a Kookrod in the house? Being our resident tranny "expert", I am requesting your knowledge and expertise. :cool:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:11 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

According to Mr. May (is he the Proffesor?), to go swing to IRS you have to change something in the center section.

So, I would assume to go IRS to swing it would be the opposite.

I want to convert my Rancho to IRS later since I bought it fresh from them - but that is some time out.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:38 am 
SV2s Graucho

you need to change the round thingie that the big gear with large center hole hole(ring gear) in it bolts to. brian remembers the stuff about 8 bolt thingie.you need swingaxle side covers. since you have a swingaxle in your bus, and it probably has a bad pinion bearing,use box out of bus for parts to convert the irs 2 sidecover trans to swingaxle... read the spy photo stuff about my trans from Brian. it shows the differential (thingie) and internals. you will need to keep ring and pinion together- dont use swing ring with irs pinion or vice versa. you must set R/Pbacklash and etc. been 30 yrs since i have done trans rebuilding and trans jigs are in wisconsin,so Brian did mine.. bentley has info that may help.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:40 am 
SV2s Graucho

gerg wrote:
I want to convert my Rancho to IRS later since I bought it fresh from them - but that is some time out.

pyrO will be pulling out what you need. you have what he needs.

SV2s member #341

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:12 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

sorry dude I've been holed up in the secret research lab my wife calls "the garage" for the last few days and not on the compooter much in fact not at all. but as to your Q: as I understand it you want to convert the type 3 for temp use in your bus by swapping differentials and slapping the GRB's on the converted "tipo tres." YES? I thought so. :cool:

As long as the T.3 case has two differential side covers then yes it can be done. But it ain't no stroll in the park! You need to put the ring gear from the T.3 on the diff housing from the bus. And using the bus side covers reset the diff bearing preload and ring gear backlash in the T.3 case. :???:

most of it is nuts and bolts really (and a nice 90wt mess) until you get to the part where you set the differential specs back up because special tools are required to do the job. This is assuming of course that all parts used from both transaxles are serviceable and good in the first place. :smile:

71 Campmobile
71 single cab
99 new Beetle

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am 
SV2s Graucho

and the differential (thingie ring gear bolts onto) was chewed up in my core trans that Brian rebuilt .
the thinige gets shims between bearings and thingie to move ring gear in or out to set ring and pinion lash. if lash is off it will Howl. right Brian? When David "flipped" his differential in his bus trans, when he did the straight axle setup to remove the redux boxes,he lucked out. His gears must have been close as it did not Howl. Maybe PyrO will luck out? :???:
if you can "find" some prussian blue or dykem in your tool box at WORK,we can do the change and check gear lash/engagement on the t3 now converted gear box. you have indicators,feeler gauges and such already. when you pull irs stuff out keep track of spider gears and etc. and count teeth (10 or 11) and do the same on bus trans. you will be using differential,spiders,side gears(check these for cracks),large snap rings,axles,fulcrum plates,flowers, and the ring gear from t3 trans(installed on bus differential) when are you doing tear down? :???:

SV2s member #341

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

bill may wrote:
Blah blah blah (good info) blah... when are you doing tear down? :???:

I don't want to tear into the Dormy as of yet, knowing this project will take more than a quick weekend job. :sad:

My next Q, is there anyone who has a "leftover" swingaxle tranny sitting out in the yard? Dan? :???:

I'd want to get the t3 set up prior to tearing into the Dormy so as to just do a quick swap. :cool:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:47 am 
SV2s Graucho

pyrOman wrote:
blah... blah..blah. no ifo,blah...blah...prior

ok

SV2s member #341

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

You're a fun gi. :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Alright, though I am going to do the IRS thing and I may have almost all the parts for it, there is more to it including some modifications of the existing parts in order for it all to fit and work properly. Not to mention that this IS a project and thus will take more time than just a weekend. So in the mean time, Elvis offered his brand spankin' new Rancho tranny for me to use while, a) I get all the parts needed etc., and b) he gets his new engine "build" kit, which then I'll help put together for him. :cool:

So I picked up the tranny Friday evening and swaped it in on Saturday. By Sunday the engine was in, bumper mounted even, and now all it needs is the rear brakes bleed off and the gear oil poured in. Prolly be driving by Wednesday evening as I have absolutely no time to put into it until then. :smile:

Note the bearing ^^"retainers"^^ that they use to ship the tranny. :???:

This shaky pix shows the new clutch cable bowden tube I got off the T3 tranny. :razz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:42 am 
SV2s Graucho

shaky is right. i was like a bobble head trying to see if the t3 had the same length bowden tube as split bus. now i'm dizzy. :cry:

SV2s member #341

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

bill may wrote:
shaky is right. i was like a bobble head trying to see if the t3 had the same length bowden tube as split bus. now i'm dizzy. :cry:

T'is the same length. I "sized" it side by side next to the old tired one. :cool:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I like the bearing stays Ivan :cool:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:35 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Pyro have you hit up Rocky (rocknbus) about his IRS conversion he did on his bus. if you need his contact number let me know

Davey Crockett was king of the wild frontier

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I'll take all the help I can get. However, I am also hell bent in using the T2 trailing arms in my posession already even if I have to figure out the alterations to them myself! :razz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

PM sent

Davey Crockett was king of the wild frontier

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:52 pm 
SV2s Graucho

auslander wrote:
Pyro have you hit up Rocky (rocknbus) about his IRS conversion he did on his bus. if you need his contact number let me know

Rocky used beetle trailing arms. PyrO wants to use free fat chick bus arms.

SV2s member #341

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:24 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Yesterday I filled up the tranny, bled the brakes and fired it up while still on the jack stands just to get the juice flowing. Ran it through all gears for a few minutes, then shut it off and rechecked the oil level. All was good but I "topped it off" at the gear boxes anyway. :smile:

So I drove it to work this morning. Very quiet at first which was very welcomed. However, once it got going this humming sound came up. Funny thing though, as long as it is under acceleration it is smooth and fairly quiet but once it's "leveled off" the hum gets going and if deccelerating it gets pretty damn loud! :???:

My only guess is that the shift rod is touching the tube it runs through and the sound is pronounced into the chassis and body. The Dormy wasn't this loud and this is annoying as all hell. :x

On a side note, this tranny doesn't seem to be a freeway flyer as the engine had to spin at 3800rpm to do 70mph. My old tired and ready to blow one did 75mph at that rate. :sad:

I definitely have to get all the stuff to IRS it. :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:30 pm 
SV2s Graucho

verify this info with Brian: i think a high mileage beetle trans center section was used in this rebuild by rancho trans.. building for bus you turn the differential 180 degrees (flipping the ring and pinion)-- but then again if you did not spend the $3 for shift rod rear bushing, maybe your original trans is OK...the rear bushing for shift rod can only be changed out when trans is removed. :sad:

SV2s member #341

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:53 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

My FF does 75 at 3500, no RGBs. I think they are 1.1:1, so that would make it 3850 for me with RGBs to do 75.

Assuming tires are close.