www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:38 am 
Board Member

Generator or Alternator that is the question!

Once again my less that 1 year old generator has failed!! Arrrgh!!
I will be pulling the engine out today or tomorrow and would like your thoughts.
I have always had generators most of the time they last for a long time.
I have been noticing a decline in their durability.

What are you running on your vw?
Would like some pros and cons of each if you have or know any.
I need to do it soooon, this week!
While the engine is out I will re-torque the heads I put on in January!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 pm 
Board Member

I have always ran alternators except when I got the camper. I just switched it to an alternator. I didn't even have to pull the engine

The thing I like about the alternator is no external regulator. I was told it always charges regardless of the RPM unlike generators. The plus side to generators is that you can rebuild them unlike alternators.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 pm 
Board Member

I have only had generators on my VW‘s. This time around it’s been 13+ years. I had one generator go bad, a 38 amp one. That was a case where the bearings froze — pretty much destroyed it from the inside out. Replaced it with a 30 amp unit which is been fine now for nine years. I have never replaced set of brushes. I only replaced one regulator and it turned out the regulator wasn’t bad.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:53 pm 
Sunshine

It's the 21st century old time move on up to an alternator. The only reason to run a generator is if you are keeping everyting stock, which you are not.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 pm 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
It's the 21st century old time move on up to an alternator. The only reason to run a generator is if you are keeping everyting stock, which you are not.

So Dan - lots of talk on the Samba about poor quality Chinese alternators. Is there a better brand of alternators? I figure they will all soon cost a lot more with the ongoing/upcoming Trump Trade Wars.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 pm 
Board Member

OB Bus wrote:
Dan wrote:

So Dan - lots of talk on the Samba about poor quality Chinese alternators. Is there a better brand of alternators? I figure they will all soon cost a lot more with the ongoing/upcoming Trump Trade Wars.

Brand new Bosch alt is the only way to go, so I've been told!
I have always ran gen's, there are no new Bosch gen's only rebuilt and I am tired of the rebuild crap!

](*,)

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:29 am 
Sunshine

Slayer wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
Dan wrote:

Brand new Bosch alt is the only way to go, so I've been told!
I have always ran gen's, there are no new Bosch gen's only rebuilt and I am tired of the rebuild crap!

](*,)

I'm running a cheap Chinese one now, works fine.
Bet the Bosch ones are made in china too, and Bosch quality is crap on many parts anymore.
Problem with rebuilt generators is that it is hard to find anyone who does them right, same with starters, etc. half the starters I get from Pep Boys fail because they use used solonoids, luckily they just give a new one because they are lifetime guaranteed, but still have to do the labor.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 am 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Problem with rebuilt generators is that it is hard to find anyone who does them right, same with starters, etc. half the starters I get from Pep Boys fail because they use used solonoids, luckily they just give a new one because they are lifetime guaranteed, but still have to do the labor.

We are on our 3rd rebuilt starter in the '69. The first two failed within 12 months. Yes, free replacement with lifetime warranty from AutoZone. The latest one has been in there for 8 years with no problem. Paperwork in one of them indicated it was rebuilt in Malaysia, and on another one Indonesia.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:03 am 
Board Member

here is a question. Does the generator allow for higher charging amps? I am running a 75 amp Chinese alternator which I am really liking right now. I never have the idiot light on at night when I have the brakes applied. I had this with the SC. I am not sure of the charging amp in the SC but I made sure I got a good high amp one for the camper. Also I have LED lights all the way around so that might be the reason why also.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:26 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I have always ran generators, however when ever I bought a rebuilt one with a life time warranty it never lasted very wrong. Once replacing one three times in less than a year. Sure it didn't cost me, but time. Then I bought a brand new generator and didn't have any problems for long time.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm 
Board Member

Fish wrote:
I have always ran generators, however when ever I bought a rebuilt one with a life time warranty it never lasted very wrong. Once replacing one three times in less than a year. Sure it didn't cost me, but time. Then I bought a brand new generator and didn't have any problems for long time.

Part of the problem is I don't believe there are any band new generators only rebuilt, I could be wrong.
I have always ran gennys 2 in the lat 2 years, and this is my first alternator. I figure some upgrades have to be an improvement!!
I just finished the swap a couple hrs ago, the lights are much brighter, the turn signals and the dash lights are brighter.
Tomorrow I need to fine tune some things. I must have hit the gas tank gauge wires, it's not working daham!!
Need to adjust the excel cable and the fan belt as it is a bit tight.

BTY: my fan was ready to explode as the nubs were worn all the way down from the generators bearings being bad!
I could probably pull it apart with me hands, and to think I just got back from Yosemite a week ago!!

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:53 pm 
Sunshine

Slayer wrote:
Fish wrote:

Part of the problem is I don't believe there are any band new generators only rebuilt, I could be wrong.
I have always ran gennys 2 in the lat 2 years, and this is my first alternator. I figure some upgrades have to be an improvement!!
I just finished the swap a couple hrs ago, the lights are much brighter, the turn signals and the dash lights are brighter.
Tomorrow I need to fine tune some things. I must have hit the gas tank gauge wires, it's not working daham!!
Need to adjust the excel cable and the fan belt as it is a bit tight.

BTY: my fan was ready to explode as the nubs were worn all the way down from the generators bearings being bad!
I could probably pull it apart with me hands, and to think I just got back from Yosemite a week ago!!

You got lucky there, that could have been disastrous.