www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spring plate adjustment!
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:58 am 
Board Member

I need to pull my engine and at the same time I want to adjust the spring plates, the rear of my bus sags a little, it sits about 2' lower than my camper. So I want to raise it about 1.5" to 2". Yes William I said raise it.

Is it difficult, tricky, how long should it take? Is it a 2 person job?

Your expertise is appreciated.

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:23 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Not a hard job to do. One man can do it easily. Tricky part is figuring out the number of splines to count when turning to get the required height you want. There many combinations or degrees of angle by turning either the inner, outer or both splines.

The torsion bar in the rear housing has a different number of splines on each end of the bar. By turning the inner one way and the outer another way or by just turning one you can achieve any degree of angle.

No, I don't know how many equal what degree. There is a forumla somewhere. I read about it in one of the old HP books. "How to build a Baja." or something like that.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 pm 
Board Member

I did a tech note in the NL on how to replace your bushings. I did get some feedback from a couple of members that the article was great but it is not the same for stock buses. I guess stock buses the spring plate is actually not so easy to take off or put back on since it is under pressure already. Meaning that you have to use a jack to pull the plate up far enough to slide on or off the torsion housing. So please be careful on this since I know baja and sandrails are a pain to do.

As for the degrees in each spline..... only the lowered know.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

First thing, get juan of these:

Trial and error. Take a reading to see where they are currently. Take them off, rotate 1 spline, reinstall, take another reading, test drive. Good? Done! No good? repeat! Image

Procedure: Completely loosen both emergency cables and pull them out of the handle. Loosen the small clamp on the axle boot so the axle can be rotated out of the way without tearing up the boot. Remove the shock absorber and the 4 bolts on the RGB. Figure out a way (bailing wire, second floor jack, etc.) to hold the RGB up and away from the torsion plate while doing the adjustment. The "pre-load" on the bus plates is not all that much so you should be able to handle it using a small bottle jack or some such if even needed. BE CAREFUL when pre-loading so that you DON'T drop the whole bus from the jackstands in the process!!! Image

Good luck! Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
Board Member

Thanks, guess I'll do some reading - research etc. before I start. :idea: maybe I'll post when I'm gona do it so someone might pop over and help!!

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
Figure out a way (bailing wire, second floor jack, etc.) to hold the RGB up and away from the torsion plate while doing the adjustment. The "pre-load" on the bus plates is not all that much so you should be able to handle it using a small bottle jack or some such if even needed. BE CAREFUL when pre-loading so that you DON'T drop the whole bus from the jackstands in the process!!!Image

Good luck! Image

Becareful of the tension on the spring plate when removing off the stop. It will "POP" off and down quickly.

Here's a little trick when putting the spring plate back up on to the stop.

Take your flour jack and remove the two front wheels on it. Remove your shock. Bolt two pieces of chair from the jack (where the wheels were) to the top of the shock mount. One on each side. Put a block of wood on the floor jack so the spring plate has something to dig into. Now when you jack the spring plate back up you won't lift the bus off the jack stand. Put the bushing cover on, but don't torque the bolts down yet. Jack up the spring plate a little and tighten the cover plate bolts down a little. Back and forth until spring plate is on its stop and cover plate is torqued down. FYI: If the bolts are not long enough to start threading into the cover plate when starting get some longer ones and switch them out about half way up.

This too was in the newsletter. Back in 1997 I think.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:55 pm 
Little League Manager

Also is the bus sitting level? If you need to adjust one side more than the other this would be a good time to do that also. Take measurements like Pyro said either with a degree finder or a tape measure. Measure to the frame if the ground isn't level. If the spring plate is under pressure on the stop be real careful you don't wack off a finger or something.

Member #478
*SBS #16*

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm 
Sunshine

Slayer wrote:
I need to pull my engine and at the same time I want to adjust the spring plates, the rear of my bus sags a little, it sits about 2' lower than my camper. So I want to raise it about 1.5" to 2". Yes William I said raise it.

Is it difficult, tricky, how long should it take? Is it a 2 person job?

Your expertise is appreciated.

I thought your BOOTIE was dragging :~)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 am 
SV2s Graucho

we (david & i ) will be doing this starting tomorrow.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am 
Board Member

bill may wrote:
we (david & i ) will be doing this starting tomorrow.

Time and place???

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231