www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Industrial Bumper?
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I'm looking for a front bumper for my panel. I'm looking for a VW of A bumper, or any other commercial style bumper outside of a HUrst. I rarely see them pop up on the TS, so I'm figuring the best way to acquire something other than a Hurst is to actually look for one. My best bet would be to know someone who had one,and then to see if they were interested in selling. I've been watching the classifieds to no avail.

I thought I saw or read about a guy on the TS who had a "stash" of a variety of commercial bumpers. I thought I would ask.

Or does anyone locally have a bumper laying around you are looking to get rid of?

Post subject: Re: Industrial Bumper?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:06 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Be a trend setter. Make your own! :cool:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:24 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
Be a trend setter. Make your own! :cool:

I've already thought about it...I really would like to find a vintage original VWoA bumper though....I like 'em!

If I can't...I definitely will be trying to make my own...big meaty MACK truck style....weight is something to consider though....

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:47 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Whenever you get the chance at the swaps, check the weight difference between an og bumper vs an after market one. Quite a few pounds on the blade alone! However, the real strength is needed in the brackets. The og ones are weak so even if you find a "strong" bumper, if you bolt it to og brackets, don't expect it to save you from body damage from a mild rear end collision. Ask Chris Fish about that! #-o

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:58 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
Whenever you get the chance at the swaps, check the weight difference between an og bumper vs an after market one. Quite a few pounds on the blade alone! However, the real strength is needed in the brackets. The og ones are weak so even if you find a "strong" bumper, if you bolt it to og brackets, don't expect it to save you from body damage from a mild rear end collision. Ask Chris Fish about that! #-o

That is why I put a custom built Bice on the DC...(she is my Summer goal)....JL built that thing strong....now I know the VP...will chime in about the "crumple zone"...that is true...but the Bice is so sexy I couldn't resist...

This time around, for the DD...I'm looking for a taller hurst style...but looking for a VWoA design....and then modify the brackets...

does anyone know how the VWoA bumpers mounted? Do they mount like the way JL builds his hursts...or do they just bolt onto existing brackets...?

Never actually seen one...only in pics...

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:12 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Alright, for some ridiculous reason I totally over looked the word FRONT on your first post and was concentrating on a REAR bumper. :oops:

My statement stands albeit for the rear only since the front brackets seem to do a fair job. I've "put" the trunk of a ricer into its back seat with a bus, if you catch my drift. 8-[

Also, though I am not much into HURST bumpers or any such item, if I was even considering it, a rear bumper that somewhat match the front would definitely had to go with it! :razz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:25 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

yeah....i've scoured the TS for pics...I've seen a couple of rear VWoA bumpers. They are SicK!!!!!!!!!!!

The rear I'm thinking I need something beefy enough and big enough to climb up on and be able to access the roof rack...

I don't want to go "custom" unless I have to, and only after an exhaustive search this time. OR else I may find myself in the same situation I am now, paid in full and WAITING for my bumper...

just wondering if anyone had one, or knew someone who had one laying around in the garage or in the back yard wasting away and wanted to dump it...

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:05 am 
Sunshine

tnc19 wrote:
yeah....i've scoured the TS for pics...I've seen a couple of rear VWoA bumpers. They are SicK!!!!!!!!!!!

The rear I'm thinking I need something beefy enough and big enough to climb up on and be able to access the roof rack...

I don't want to go "custom" unless I have to, and only after an exhaustive search this time. OR else I may find myself in the same situation I am now, paid in full and WAITING for my bumper...

just wondering if anyone had one, or knew someone who had one laying around in the garage or in the back yard wasting away and wanted to dump it...

Any pix of the VWoA bumper?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:45 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

i believe that the bumper in the back is the vwoa.....and the other is the rear... VW of America I believe made these here....not sure...the TS thread, said that Everett had a broschure with pics of these...

UZI....on the TS I believe has all these and other rare bumps stock piled....not sure?

Attachments:
File comment: rear
vwoa rear.jpg
vwoa rear.jpg [ 62.81 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]
File comment: i believe the bumper in the back is the front...I think UZI has these
vwoa.jpg
vwoa.jpg [ 60.8 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

i think these are customs...one might be a legit mfg by vw...but i think it is an Australian one...the cowcatcher?not sure

Attachments:
cowcatcher.jpg
cowcatcher.jpg [ 33.84 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]
vwoa bumper.jpg
vwoa bumper.jpg [ 47.35 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]
bumpr.jpg
bumpr.jpg [ 118.02 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am 
Sunshine

tnc19 wrote:
i think these are customs...one might be a legit mfg by vw...but i think it is an Australian one...the cowcatcher?not sure

They are all equally hideous. Looks like they ran into a gate and were too lazy to pull it off the front of the bus after they drove away.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:11 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Dan wrote:
tnc19 wrote:

They are all equally hideous. Looks like they ran into a gate and were too lazy to pull it off the front of the bus after they drove away.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
How did I know you would NOT approve!........yeah.......i can't wait to rock something up front on the low down DD....maybe even put a skid plate on it to help guard with the grinding & scraping...