www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Does anybody have a set of hoops? All I need is to make a template of the top curves. 20 min or less of climbing around your truck with paper and pencil.

I'm thinking about taking a crack at making my own set of hoops. I'm not looking to reproduce the OG, which, I think, will avoid a good portion of the problems I've read about. I'd like to make them out of square tube and not C Channel to start with. Yes I know they aren't that expensive in the big picture, but I have access to a square tubing bender and want something a little different anyway.

I know Pyro has a couple sets he's been working on for a while now, would love to hear about the problems.

Thanks,
Aaron

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:15 am 
Board Member

I have thought about the same thing when my dad was welding all the time. I thought about making my own set. So if you have access to a bender, maybe I could get some money for material and have you bend me a set too?

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:34 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I had some about a week ago that I would have gladly lent them out to get reproduced. Sorry bro.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Yeah we can probably work that out. If I can get a template, I think the bend for the hoops won't be tough. I'm worried about the caps, and hope this bender can do them as well. I have found the height measurement to the middle and could make up an arc, but would like to be similar to the original.

What do you think about it being telescopic? With a couple of different height settings. I found a reference to one on TS, and thought it would be great to go from stock height to roof hieght to get it in the garage... or put a roof top tent over the cab or what ever ... aero dynamics... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:47 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

That's a bummer, I've been working out the details for this for a few months. If only I'd have posted earlier...
Thanks though

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Hot dog Fred bought his from a guy who repro's them, Call Fred for more info?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I have a set of Derek Gregg Production ones .... But I am no where near you guys. :sad:

67 Deluxe

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 am 
Board Member

the telescope idea is great but since I am slammed, it doesn't matter to me since I can get in my garage with them at original height or cab height. :cool: But I do like the idea and would want to do the same.

Eric dude are you NOT coming down here for your doors? You can bring the hoops and we can drag them up to OCTO or something to return them.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Unless Bill holds them Ransom and needs them gone ASAP.. I will be coming down to OCTO.. I know Bill will be there, and its a shorter drive for me.

67 Deluxe

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm 
Board Member

That's cool. We can get them back to you at the next OCTO or FF or BB

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:03 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Pyro, I was hoping you would chime in on this. I found a couple of different old posts that you were working on this project and that you had some road blocks, but I couldn't find what they were.

Eric we will take good care of you stuff. I just need to take some measurements of the hoop mountings, and a template of the curve, and some measurements of the cap.

Thanks,
Aaron

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:05 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Okay. After years of waiting for the right tool to come by ... I showed up! :lol:

No, seriously, I finally met this guy with an industrial hydraulic break and within 10 minutes he got all the pieces bent to the "U" shape. As if that was the "easy" step, the 2 other difficult ones are, #1 correctly bending the top parts to the right radius, and #2 is the most difficult one, the end caps. These being part flat and part curved, they easily twist as you try to bend them to the correct radius. If you look at an "og" one very closely, you'll see that they are actually a flat piece and a curved one welded together. So, as you prolly have figured out already, there just isn't any easy way to make these things! :sad:

I believe I have enought pieces to make 3 sets of bows but NOT the end caps!!! I wanted to use material of the same thickness of og ones and that's way I had to use a hydraulic break to bend them to shape. How are you going to do the radius bend for the top pieces? Do you have a bender that can be adjusted and how strong is it? :???:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:20 am 
SV2s Graucho

Brake. hydraulic Brake. dormys,kermits and slayers,and Slacks Break.
stay focused and hoops will be made.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:13 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Pyro,

Have access to an industrial hydraulic roller bender to make the bends. Ideally, I'd like to do the hoops in one piece, with no welds out of square tubing. As for the caps, they are a little more complicated, but currently the plan is to use round tubing that has about the same thickness as the stock metal and the same radius as the curve in the cap. Bend up the tubing and using a plasma cutter, cut out a little over a quarter and flatten the top edge a bit. Little worried about the the flatness of the top edge. If you are at the meeting tonight, I'd like to brain storm with you a bit.

Aaron

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Unless I break yet another couple of motors, I do plan on showing up tonight. There I go jinxing myself! :roll:

Also, pieless for me as I'll be driving the Bug. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:38 am 
Board Member

Aaron, do or can the hoops remain on the bus while you do what you need to? How about the canvas?

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:23 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

It would be a lot easier to make a template of the curve and the mounting brackets if it wasn't mounted. The canvas would make things considerably more difficult. I could make the mounted hoop work, but not with the canvas.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am 
Board Member

OK I will see what I can do.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:29 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Aaron, been busy with work and family.
Do you still need the arch traced out on paper ?? if so, I can get that done Mon/Tues.

67 Deluxe

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:26 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Hey Eric, No worries, I appreciate the offer, I'll let you know tonight. A buddy and I are going to visit a guy here in poway who has a double cab locked away in his garage with hoops and we are hoping that he will let me make a template.

Wish me luck,
Aaron