www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Door Locks??????????
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

So my 63 DD has one key. That key turns the ignition. I have no key that locks any of the doors.

What is the best way? and then the cheapest way? to get the locks keyed and working? I do not necessarily care if they all work on one key or several.

There is an ad from wagonwerks.com on the samba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=770366
for cylinders....but 95$ a piece!!!! =D> #-o :roll: ...with witte keys. However with driver, 2 cargo doors and the rear hatch, that is 400$... ](*,)

anyway to rekey the cylinders i have in the locks already?...locksmith? ....other than buying new handles....
a whole set on the samba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=840722
ONLY $900...sounds like a steal! :-" :-" :-" =;

what is the trick?

Post subject: Re: Door Locks??????????
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm 
Board Member

Gabriel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the Samba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check his ads###################################################!

Maybe he can help you for a bit less.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm 
Board Member

I had Gabe create a second key for my ignition at the Classic. I ended up buying a new door handle/lock from WW

Gabriel Garcia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... e=gabvwkey

I would suggest if you can waiting until you see him in person at the Classic. Yes he will be there and hit him EARLY as his line of orders gets long fast!

If you can't wait then order from Wolfsburg West or you can mail everything to Gabe and he will have like a 1 or 2 day turn around.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

thanks...he has it all....

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:04 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Million Question Man wrote:
So my 63 DD has one key. That key turns the ignition. I have no key that locks any of the doors.

What is the best way? and then the cheapest way? to get the locks keyed and working?

what is the trick?

The Trick: Remove one of the side cargo doors keyed handle. Get key made for it. Chances are that ALL other locks work with the same key. Done! :cool:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:02 am 
SV2s Graucho

ask the vice president of strictly vintage 2s to rekey them for you. he has given classes at lake havasu,az and other campouts on doing this.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I re keyed all my lock on my Kombi. It's not as difficult as you might expect, it's just a matter of taking your time and keeping track of all the small parts. You will need a precision screw driver set for sure and lot's of patience. Almost forgot, you will also need spare locks which I had plenty of.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 am 
SV2s Graucho

i buy all the cheap door/cargo/ign parts i can get that have the T code on them. they were used 1964,1965 and 1966 which covers most buses in sv2s..
i do have some wafers for older locks if needed..
i do not file wafers to get keys to work.
Louis found a vw key code book and sold it to me for what he paid for it... $1 - no joke. \:D/

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
i buy all the cheap door/cargo/ign parts i can get that have the T code on them. they were used 1964,1965 and 1966 which covers most buses in sv2s..
i do have some wafers for older locks if needed..
i do not file wafers to get keys to work.
Louis found a vw key code book and sold it to me for what he paid for it... $1 - no joke. \:D/

That's what they're called, wafers. I as well did not file any of the wafers to work. Just a matter of dropping one in at a time and checking to see if it matches the profile of the key.

$1.00, good deal.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:19 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
ask the vice president of strictly vintage 2s to rekey them for you. he has given classes at lake havasu,az and other campouts on doing this.

Oh Royal Vice President of the Hallowed SV2s......will you at sometime in the near future be so kind as to "rekey" them for me? It would help in securing the coach....my bucket...my bus!

I would love to learn...I figure the more I learn the less I have to bother in the future...

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 am 
SV2s Graucho

gather all locks from your bus and whatever key you have. is it one of those oddball 63's where door handles do not match cargo and hatch and ignition like JL's late 63????

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

He has no key for the locks! That's why the first thing to do is make a key for the cargo door handle and then find out if it works on the rest. If it doesn't, THEN remove all locks to "re-key" them to the new key. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
gather all locks from your bus and whatever key you have. is it one of those oddball 63's where door handles do not match cargo and hatch and ignition like JL's late 63????

here is the m code plate

notice how the "hack" spray painters of rattle can black painted around the OG gray paint....thanks! :roll:

anyway....those are the numbers if they mean anything?

I still have the ice pick handle on the driver door....the cargos? who knows where they came from....the rear hatch is probably the best handle....t-handle....i will pull them all off...and try to get together with you asap...prolly wont be until the end of the month...i'm out of town this weekend...

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 am 
SV2s Graucho

tnc19 wrote:
So my 63 DD has one key. That key turns the ignition.

i miss read this pyro. :-k

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
He has no key for the locks! That's why the first thing to do is make a key for the cargo door handle and then find out if it works on the rest. If it doesn't, THEN remove all locks to "re-key" them to the new key. :cool:

ah-hah!!!!! ok.....what if the cylinders feel and look sheisty? are placement parts available...? I will pull one....does it matter which? driver?right or left cargo? hatch? if they will all be keyed to one key eventually, shouldn't the "least" worn lock be used...? or it doesn't matter....the ignition key is worn way down.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

pyrOman wrote:

ah-hah!!!!! ok.....what if the cylinders feel and look sheisty? are placement parts available...? I will pull one....does it matter which? driver?right or left cargo? hatch? if they will all be keyed to one key eventually, shouldn't the "least" worn lock be used...? or it doesn't matter....the ignition key is worn way down.....

I suggest the cargo door handle as it is the easyest to remove, though in your case the hatch one is just as easy. In my experience, I've found that all buses had one key for the door and one for the ignition. Also, more often than not, they all have "kept" their original locks through out. Whenever I have to replace a door handle, I re-use the existing lock. However, that does not mean it has to always be that way. On the Plump Truck for example, I had no keys at all so I re-keyed the doors as well as the ignition switch to work with the same key that opens the Dormy. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Million Answer Man wrote:
Million Answer Man wrote:

I suggest the cargo door handle as it is the easyest to remove, though in your case the hatch one is just as easy. In my experience, I've found that all buses had one key for the door and one for the ignition. Also, more often than not, they all have "kept" their original locks through out. Whenever I have to replace a door handle, I re-use the existing lock. However, that does not mean it has to always be that way. On the Plump Truck for example, I had no keys at all so I re-keyed the doors as well as the ignition switch to work with the same key that opens the Dormy. :cool:

Thanks....anSWERman....much appreciated... =D>