www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:42 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I had the body work and paint done at a local shop up here in Vista, the name of the shop is E&R autobody. I have their number somewhere at home I think. They did a good job. They replaced quite a bit of metal and did a good job on the prep work. I paid close to 8K for the work done and since it was close to where I live, I would stop by at least twice a week to check on progress.
Now for the DC I went to another shop for a quote but before I say the name of the shop I want to say that this shop was recommended to me by Scott (owner of VW Paradise in San Marcos). Scott showed me his vintage Chevy truck that this shop did for him. All I can say is the job they did for him was awesome! and the price was half of what I paid for my Kombi to get done. I took the DC in for a quote and with me supplying all of the replacement panels the price quoted to me was $3500.00.
The name of the shop is...........Macco :shock: I believe in order to have a decent to great paint job it all lies in the prep work. This particular Macco is in Escondido off of Industry st. I can stop by and get their number later on today if you want.
There is also a friend of my dads that does body and paint but he ONLY does American hot rods for some reason. His work is awesome and he pays close attention to the details. He might work on some German metal but his prices are up there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 am 
Board Member

robzdoka wrote:
he ONLY does American hot rods for some reason.

hater [-(

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

robzdoka wrote:
I had the body work and paint done at a local shop up here in Vista, the name of the shop is E&R autobody. I have their number somewhere at home I think. They did a good job. They replaced quite a bit of metal and did a good job on the prep work. I paid close to 8K for the work done and since it was close to where I live, I would stop by at least twice a week to check on progress.
Now for the DC I went to another shop for a quote but before I say the name of the shop I want to say that this shop was recommended to me by Scott (owner of VW Paradise in San Marcos). Scott showed me his vintage Chevy truck that this shop did for him. All I can say is the job they did for him was awesome! and the price was half of what I paid for my Kombi to get done. I took the DC in for a quote and with me supplying all of the replacement panels the price quoted to me was $3500.00.
The name of the shop is...........Macco :shock: I believe in order to have a decent to great paint job it all lies in the prep work. This particular Macco is in Escondido off of Industry st. I can stop by and get their number later on today if you want.
There is also a friend of my dads that does body and paint but he ONLY does American hot rods for some reason. His work is awesome and he pays close attention to the details. He might work on some German metal but his prices are up there.

Is that the DC in your avatar? 3500? wow! Rob....where can i find pics of your DC? here?SBS?Samba?....i'd like to see what it looks like, "nice and big"......as they say, dont knock it til you try it.

My preliminary price range is 4-5k....kind of all i have to budget for.....hammering (little to no welding), filling, sanding, prepping, spraying....i figure that should be enough to get a nice paint job, not too much money to put into it, that makes you not want to drive for fear of getting caught behind a gravel truck, and not low budget, or backyard spraying. Not that there is anything wrong with show quality paint or spraying in the back yard...just looking for sweet shiny, OG paint, that gleams down the freeway....

pics rob?where can i find them?
thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:49 am 
Board Member

He hasn't done anything to the DC yet. Wife hasn't taken his "boys" out of her purse yet. :lol:

In his avatar is his old Kombi he traded for the DC. If Macco will do the same or better than his kombi, for half the price, DO IT!

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:52 am 
Little League Manager

There is a guy in Vegas his name is Carlos and he does some incredible work. There was a SC at the Vegas show that he painted that everyone looked like this :shock: :shock:
I think this is it but not sure.

He also painted Gerg's 65 bug. I don't remember exactly how much he charge but if I remember right the SC was somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 - $4000. His shop is right next door to the Wagen and they have a good reputation. Gerg for one speaks highly about Carlos and the Wagen.

Member #478
*SBS #16*

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 am 
Board Member

love the chrome....

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 am 
Board Member

robzdoka wrote:
The name of the shop is...........Macco :shock:

Our son bought his Subaru from a used car lot in El Cajon. The dealer showed me a car that they had purchased at auction and needed fresh paint to sell. The paint job (single stage) was really good. The shop they used was Maaco. I should have used them for the bus. <<sigh>>

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:40 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

"One Day" auto body and paint in Kerney Mesa painted my Ghia. :x That's why I have sense painted both of my buses with spray cans. Came out better and lasted longer. :roll:

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

hudman wrote:
There is a guy in Vegas his name is Carlos and he does some incredible work. There was a SC at the Vegas show that he painted that everyone looked like this :shock: :shock:
I think this is it but not sure.

He also painted Gerg's 65 bug. I don't remember exactly how much he charge but if I remember right the SC was somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 - $4000. His shop is right next door to the Wagen and they have a good reputation. Gerg for one speaks highly about Carlos and the Wagen.

WOW.... \:D/ .....that looks real sexy in the pics! glossy....glassy!
For 3000-4000???? Wow.....

So a really nice job can be done in that lower range...especially if I take the DC to him already naked with 90% or more metal work done....hmmmm....VEGAS? what "would" happen in vegas....would NOT stay in vegas!it would be on its way back to SD.

JL....is working an angle for me too in OC, he has a guy named Rick he mentioned in a thread somewhere....JL has been a load of help...da man!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

tnc19 wrote:
robzdoka wrote:

Is that the DC in your avatar? 3500? wow! Rob....where can i find pics of your DC? here?SBS?Samba?....i'd like to see what it looks like, "nice and big"......as they say, dont knock it til you try it.

My preliminary price range is 4-5k....kind of all i have to budget for.....hammering (little to no welding), filling, sanding, prepping, spraying....i figure that should be enough to get a nice paint job, not too much money to put into it, that makes you not want to drive for fear of getting caught behind a gravel truck, and not low budget, or backyard spraying. Not that there is anything wrong with show quality paint or spraying in the back yard...just looking for sweet shiny, OG paint, that gleams down the freeway....

thanks

I forgot to mention the paint job that cost me 8k was for the Kombi and not the DC :oops: . I don't have any updated pictures of my DC but here is a couple:

4-5k should be plenty for a paint job but you will need to shop around a bit. I'll second that about Justin, since the day I met the guy he has been a great friend and always willing to lend a hand no matter what. Unlike the ball busting der58SC :lol: just kidding man you know I love you :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:23 am 
Board Member

robzdoka wrote:
Unlike the ball busting der58SC :lol: just kidding man you know I love you :lol:

aw shucks man. I wuv you too! :oops:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:45 am 
SV2s Graucho

sunday march 21,2010 @ 8:23am william came out of the closet. :lol:

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
sunday march 21,2010 @ 8:23am william came out of the closet. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:52 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

robzdoka wrote:
tnc19 wrote:
robzdoka wrote:

thanks

I forgot to mention the paint job that cost me 8k was for the Kombi and not the DC :oops: . I don't have any updated pictures of my DC but here is a couple:

4-5k should be plenty for a paint job but you will need to shop around a bit. I'll second that about Justin, since the day I met the guy he has been a great friend and always willing to lend a hand no matter what. Unlike the ball busting der58SC :lol: just kidding man you know I love you :lol:

Thats what I figure...gonna have to shop, but that (4-5k) should be enough to get her looking cherry!

Luv that DC...sick wheels! But I too like the stock look and will be running those one fine day!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

tnc19 wrote:
robzdoka wrote:
der58SC wrote:
hudman wrote:
$800 is a steal.
Airkeweled $895 (has some issues don't think stock 15's work without a mod or shim)
I hear the CSP are running $1300 now! :shock: :shock:

exactly my post. Rob went to run stock 15" wheels and found out that his options were to grind down the caliper or buy a new caliper bracket.

Yup i bought the Aikewld set up for the Kombi and had to grind a little bit off the caliper once I switched out the BRM's for some stockers. CSP is the way to go I hear but are a little pricey. Don't know too much about Ronnie's set up bit it looks good.

No my .02 on "Stuff's". I had the complete transaxle for the Kombi built by Stuff's when they were in Oceanside, never had a problem with it. I later had Rancho switched out the RGB's for a straight axle and flip the R/P but still the same tranny and never had a problem. Matter of fact the new owner of the Kombi still has the same tranny and still running smooth.

Cool....just cross checkin references to make sure they do legit work. Bill said he had heard otherwise...just trying to gather the good, the bad, and the ugly

Rob, got any pics after the DC was sprayed by Maaco....very interesting story....kickazzz paint job for 3,500$$$ thats what im looking for....

I brought the above quote from the "Stuffit's" thread since it was paint related.
To be clear about my DC, it has not been painted it's still sporting the original paint job it left the factory in. Macco was just an option I was thinking of going with but since there is no $$ in the paint fund ( :sad: ) I just enjoy driving it the way it is now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:29 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

ahhhhhh, see, i missed that. makes sense now. the point you were making is taken though. nice paint can be had for 3-4k! thanks....DC looks sick as it rolls brutha...to me there is no substitute for the German OG paint....if I get one with OG paint it is staying...thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I just now came across this guy. I don't think I've ever heard of him. Anyone?
San Diego Classic Volkswagen Restoration.
http://www.sdcvr.com/

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

did you meet him or stumble on the website?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Fish wrote:
I just now came across this guy. I don't think I've ever heard of him. Anyone?
San Diego Classic Volkswagen Restoration.
http://www.sdcvr.com/

I never met him. Emailed him at the beginning of 2009. Never heard back. The blue slammed bus with steelies I saw and remember being sold on EBAY or the Samba last year. I never actually laid eyes on anything or touched...just in pics.

Whats the word? I figure someone has to know him. He is local...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

tnc19 wrote:
Whats the word? I figure someone has to know him. He is local...

There's plenty of rocks in this here county. I would not want the Rock Turner-Over job. Though sometimes one gets lucky and happens to flip just the right rock and up pops some long lost soul! :cool: