www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:42 am 
Sunshine

I am considered not a front disc brake kit for my 59 camper since I am going to big nut and a stroker 1800 for survivability reasons. I have done a lot of reading on the Samba aand have narrowed my choices to the $1500 CSP German kit and the $800 US made SACO kit.
I have heard nothing but good stuff about the CSP kit, in terms of quality ease of installation and no mods to track.with the exception of the CSP kit and the SACO one the other require mods to maintain stock track.
Anyway, most of the posts about SACO are at least two years old and mention problems with the kit. Does anyone have any recent experience with this kit?

Last edited by Dan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Dan wrote:
I am considered not ...

Anyway, most of the posts about SACO are a true least two years old ...

Juan too many beers? :-k

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:23 am 
SV2s Creative Staff

pyrOman wrote:
Dan wrote:
I am considered not ...

Anyway, most of the posts about SACO are a true least two years old ...

Juan too many beers? :-k

At 9:42 in the morning!?!? Well, maybe he is still on summer holiday...

SV2s Member #81
SBNB #2

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am 
Lurking

Mine are from WW (CSP German), ask Ivan how they went on, I'm pretty sure they were bolt on easy-peasy.

SV2s #425
"Craig from LA"

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 am 
Sunshine

Somebody please block me again...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:17 am 
Sunshine

Turbo_g wrote:
Mine are from WW (CSP German), ask Ivan how they went on, I'm pretty sure they were bolt on easy-peasy.

Is there a reason why you chose those in particular? Do you notice a big difference in braking over drum?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 am 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Somebody please block me again...

[-X

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Dan wrote:
Turbo_g wrote:

Is there a reason why you chose those in particular? Do you notice a big difference in braking over drum?

I sure did! :shock:

If not for the seat belt Idda gone flying through the safaris! #-o

I say it was a days work. Came home from work one day, did one side. Next day same thing did the other side. Totally a bolt on and drive affair. Very positive and firm stopping! :-o

Don't know about the other set up but sounds like issues are been had. Also others like Porsche 944 brakes need spacers and stuff to get working properly. Offsets from stock may be other issues. Get what you pay for, pay for what you get. :neutral:

BTW, they do work much better, efficiently and easier than the phatchick set up I have in the dormy. :-/

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:24 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
BTW, they do work much better, efficiently and easier than the phatchick set up I have in the dormy. :-/

Now that is what I like to hear. My father-in-law is looking to put disc brakes on his bus but wants to put a bay front on it. I will let him know.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:48 am 
Board Member

der58SC wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Now that is what I like to hear. My father-in-law is looking to put disc brakes on his bus but wants to put a bay front on it. I will let him know.

Does he want to put the bay front beam on for ride purposes? CSP does sell the disc brake kits for early bay beams in wide-5.
I have looked at both the Saco and German Kits but have not done either. The CSP looks really high-quality. The Saco is much much cheaper. The CSP seems to be a issue free but the American one does not. For me – a very mediocre mechanic – I would lean towards CSP if money were no object.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

On ^^^that^^^ note... Though the CSP works very well and easy on the foot, FTR, the phatchick set up on the Plump Truck also works better than the one on the Dormy! :-s

I believe it all has to do with the type of master cylinder. I had to use a shorter master for the Dormy as the '68 one for the Plump Truck is too long and would get in the way of the sway bar. :sad:

Here's the one I ended up using. :-k

I intend to correct that but it will need some fabrication of the mounting bracket for the master. :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:56 am 
Board Member

How about the '67 only one? The latest Chinese one has received good reviews on the Samba and is well under $100. I have one in my garage for the 67 single cab....whenever I get around to installing it.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Should work, however, masters for drum brakes have a check valve that keeps "residual" pressure on the line so the shoes do not retract, the springs do that. Disc brakes cannot have this condition, so the check valve "ball" has to be removed for the front brakes when disc are on the system. ;-)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:52 pm 
Board Member

OB Bus wrote:
der58SC wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Does he want to put the bay front beam on for ride purposes? CSP does sell the disc brake kits for early bay beams in wide-5.
I have looked at both the Saco and German Kits but have not done either. The CSP looks really high-quality. The Saco is much much cheaper. The CSP seems to be a issue free but the American one does not. For me – a very mediocre mechanic – I would lean towards CSP if money were no object.

No he strictly wants the disc brakes and knows it will be cheaper to just swap the beam rather than spend over a thousand for brakes.

SV2s #436