www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 40 Horses from hell
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:36 pm 
Sunshine

About a year ago I built a 40 horse engine for my killer as in it almost killed me, 62 Mosaik camper restoration. At the time I had a set of rebuilt 1300 heads laying around soI thought I'd use them,with the sealing ring,and when I got the engine installed found out this is a bad idea as it causes the heads to leak compression. Few hundred dollars later I pulled the engine and installed it with newly rebuilt 40horse heads. For about a month the engine ran great,took it to OCTO meet in Long Beach back in June cruising along at 60mph. Drove it here And there around town no problems, but then a few weeks ago I drove it to work and got as far as Escondido before I had to triple A it home. Turns out I ate a rod bearing.
So,tore the engine down and had Josh and Dennis at Moonlight look it over and the consensus was a worn bore on the oil pressure relief valve caused oil pressure to go down to rod bearing eating levels. There was also the small oil pump, slightly worn cam saddles and and cam followers...anyway, Dennis planed the case to tighten up the cam bores,bored out the chamber for the over sized pressure relief valve and cleaned the case to get all the shrapnel out.
Got the case back earlier this week and started assembling the crank with new rebuilt rods, put the mains on and tried to install the crank..the mains were the wrong size.
Took it back to Dennis and he gave me the correct bearings. Friday after work I got the crank in,started bolting the case halves up and in the box of nuts noticed a little metal dowel...not good...amd an extra split bearing...forgot to put the split bearing in the other half of the case...apart it comes again.
Today I got the case all bolted up and went to put the flywheel on. Had to set the end play first.put a el cheapo Brazilian metal gasket on the crank and could not get the end play right without using four shims! Found a NOS German one in the stash, torque it all down, and of course,no end play? Turns out the German ones are mucho flaco compared to the Braziloan ones, so off comes the flywheel again, reset with three shims and voila, all set to specs.
Tomorrow I hope to finish up with the long block and get all the top end crap on and install this puppy during the week.

Post subject: Re: 40 Horses from hell
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:28 pm 
Board Member

Sounds like you are having mucho fun!! One time at band camp, kidding, I mean in my garage I split the case I was rebuilding 3 times during the assembly process! Better now than after the install!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Is it a bastard engine? There's a reason why thems didn't last long in production. :neutral:

Having the same feeling with the Dormy's engine. It seems hell bent into BURNING the bus up!!! :-x

Once again while trying to get it to run right, I have thrown everything and a couple of kitchen sinks into it and anything I did made it worse. Finally found out the floats in one of the Dellortos isn't floating thus flooding the the whole ports all the way to the top of the carb! So now, I have only one each of 2 sets of double carbs. :sad:

The Dromy is out of commission until I either fix the juan Dellorto or get another Weber. FROK!!! :x

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:14 am 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
Is it a bastard engine? There's a reason why thems didn't last long in production. :neutral:

Having the same feeling with the Dormy's engine. It seems hell bent into BURNING the bus up!!! :-x

Once again while trying to get it to run right, I have thrown everything and a couple of kitchen sinks into it and anything I did made it worse. Finally found out the floats in one of the Dellortos isn't floating thus flooding the the whole ports all the way to the top of the carb! So now, I have only one each of 2 sets of double carbs. :sad:

The Dromy is out of commission until I either fix the juan Dellorto or get another Weber. FROK!!! :x

It's a normal 40, not a bastard.

Can't you just get new floats?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:19 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Will research that today. But the real question right now should be: "Can I run a Weber on one side and a Dellorto on the other?" :???:

They both are 40s! 8-[

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:25 am 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
Will research that today. But the real question right now should be: "Can I run a Weber on one side and a Dellorto on the other?" :???:

They both are 40s! 8-[

I bet you cannot because they probably switch from idles to mains at different RPMs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:15 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Yeah, figured that much, the curves are prolly very different. :roll:

The thought did cross my mind! :razz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 pm 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
Yeah, figured that much, the curves are prolly very different. :roll:

The thought did cross my mind! :razz:

Well, then don't be cheap and get a set of webers.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:22 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Update! :shock:

Elvis is in da house! :cool:

Ok, Elvis just called me and said he has a Weber that was given to him, collecting dust. So he's willing to donate it to the cause. =D>

Hopefully it will be a match to the burnt one. I checked CB Performance for parts and they list floats for the Webers but did not see them for Dellortos. :sad:

Will call them maybe tomorrow to see if they can "come up with a pair" of floats for the Dellortos. The Dellortos have not been manufactured since very long ago, so parts are scarce. The Webers had suffered the same fate but were later "reproduced", I believe under the empi brand which is what you get now if you buy them new. :neutral:

Though I had run the Webers in the Dormy since I got them, previously the Dellortos did the job and did it well. Also, the Webers were fairly new when I got them and came from an engine which was on a sand rail. The Dellortos however, were much older and very used when I got them from Chris Fish a couple of eons ago! They also seem to have performed better than the Webers so at this point I am partial to the Dellortos. Worse come to worser, I may just make my own set of floats to get them back in service! :-/

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:29 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I bought those in 1985 and sold them to Ivan in 199? :-" that was a while ago.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:54 am 
Sunshine

Fish wrote:
I bought those in 1985 and sold them to Ivan in 199? :-" that was a while ago.

By Jove the Internet is truly your mate, eh wat?

http://www.dellorto.co.uk

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:08 pm 
Sunshine

Back to 40 horses...so, I put the diz drive in 180 off. Instead of pulling the drive, which can be a PITA, I'm thinking why not just remove the dilly o at the bottom of the diz and flip it 180? Wouldn't it be the same result, getting the rotor to point at the little notch indicating number one position on the the body?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Thanks for the link! Parts ordered... to the tune of $194 #-o

Two floats, might as well get new floats for both carbs, and rebuilt kit for both also. :-/

You can flip the bottom tab without ill effects. However, if interested, I do have the tool to pull the drive out and reposition it. You do have to remove the fuel pump to do so though. Just don't tell Grizly about it or you won't hear the end of it! :razz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:03 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I thought this thread was about Dan's engine.........

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:05 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I thought this deadsite was for all club members and guests! Not just 3.76 cats and lurkers! :???:

Anyway, thanks to Sunshine for the parts link. Even though it is located half way across the forkin globe in the UK, I got the parts delivered within a WEEK!!!! :shock:

\:D/

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:46 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

:smt013

Still, thanks to Sunshine for the parts link. However, after taking the Dellortos apart, cleaning them thoroughly, installing the new floats and rebuilt kit, they are not working properly! :sad:

Runs great if I floor it and idles ok, but just off idle has a seriously dead spot as if its getting no gas, then it launches like trying to pop a wheelie! :-s

Needless to say, I can't drive it like that. :-({|=

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:21 pm 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
:smt013

Still, thanks to Sunshine for the parts link. However, after taking the Dellortos apart, cleaning them thoroughly, installing the new floats and rebuilt kit, they are not working properly! :sad:

Runs great if I floor it and idles ok, but just off idle has a seriously dead spot as if its getting no gas, then it launches like trying to pop a wheelie! :-s

Needless to say, I can't drive it like that. :-({|=

Don't you drive with da peddle to da metal anyway??

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:12 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Well, while on the freeway is ok. In the neighborhood streets, not so much! :???: