www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am 
Sunshine

Thought I'd start a thread on the most unusual bus you've seen. Im not talking about Kustomized by Uncle Joe in his backyard unusual, but unusual in the sense of unusual factory options. Earlier this week I got to see one of the most unusual buses I'd ever seen. Its a 1963 non walkthrough panel. Nothing to be too excited about you'd think, until you notice that it has a sub hatch in it. Turned out this bus was bought in Germany as a regular panel and then was sent to Westfalia, where it the owner ordered an unusual kit for it. In '63 he could have gotten the SO-22 Mosaic kit similar to a SO-34 setup, but this guy dove deep into the Westy options and ordered a total one off kit. First off, he had them install the sub hatch and the limb wood roof in the sleeping compartment which required a special modified cab divider. He then ordered this weird bed set up. Basically there are storage cabinets that runs alongside the left side of the bus mounted on wheels. To make the bed you open the doors which are mounted on wheels and then unfold the lid of the cabinets which make the sleeping platform. The bus has the typical 34 hanging cabinet and middle cabinet as well as closet. He ordered the green marble mat for the rear, the camping chair, the chandelier and tent, all of which are still with the bus plus it is full of vintage camping equipment from the original owner. Apparently not so long ago the guy who bought it from the original owner brought it out to OCTO not knowing anything about buses really and was tying to sell it but no one wanted it cause they thought it was an old man hack. Turns out a panel bus fanatic bought it and discovered the original build sheet from Westy, proving that it was ordered that way. Goes to show that back then you really could build your own bus. If you go to OCTO and see it there check it out.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:46 am 
Board Member

This is the most unusual bus I have "seen"..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1709356

It was a Factory Special ordered bus, set aside in the factory and painted with a unique coat of white paint that was not a stock available color. Most of that original paint is still present on the 52 year old bus. The Paint Code is L-84 WHITE. Look it up for yourself, it doesn't exist. But it's what is on the M-Plate. It has all original glass. Original bumpers. Never been wrecked. Original walk thru frames. One key does everything on the bus, all handles and ignition. All braking system is new. All 5 wheels original to the bus and have been blasted and powder coated with new tires. Has a full Westy Kit. The bus has a fair amount of rust. But nothing that can't be fixed. I have new corners, doglegs, front floor halves, and a brand new decklid painted to match the rest of the bus. Please don't insult me with a lowball, I know what I have here. If you are looking for a One of a kind Factory bus, this is it. Like I said No bus left the factory with the same Factory applied paint as this bus.

Maybe I should offer him a trade for me SC??

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:58 am 
Board Member

What no pic Dan!!??

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 pm 
Sunshine

Slayer wrote:
What no pic Dan!!??

Didn't have my camera, maybe Il bring it next time I go by his shop. I imagine Serg has seen it, it is off the hook.