www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm 
Sunshine

Took Friday off to get caught up on errands. As usual I drove my son to school downtown, but since I had ghe day off, figured I would exercise the '58 standard. Wasn't sure if I had enough gas in it, but thought I did, anyway, made it to school and was heading back up the 163 toward my Washington St exit when the engine began to sputter. Thought crap, must be out of gas. Made it half way up the on ramp to Robinson when it dies. I pulled the reserve knob and tried to start her up, but no go. I was having issues with the reserve switch before, so maybe the tube was clogged? Got out and walked around Uptown hoping to find anyplace selling a gas can other than the extortionist gas station ($16!). No dice, so $24 later for two gallons I hoofed it back only to be met by the free SANDAG tow truck...with gas. The guy loaned me his funnel and after dumping the gas in I hopped in and the bus fired right up I was about to wave him off when it sputtered and died. Went to start it again and heard a horrible grinding from the starter motor then nothing. At that point I asked for the free tow. He flatbedded me over to the DMV where there was less traffic so I climbed under using the screwdriver trick. At first the starter just spun without engaging the flywheel but then eventually grabbed. THe engine was at least turning now. I asked the driver to work the throttle while I jumped the starter, but now it would not engage again! He said we could try to bump start it so with him pushing and me working the throttle I got it to fire up for about four seconds then it just sputtered and died. At this point I had to throw in the towel and call AAA. Once home I checked the pump and there is fuel in the line to the pump and fuel spilled out of the output line, so not sure yet what is happening there. The starter will turn but not engage the flywheel. My battery is close to 6.4 volts. Haven't had time to pursue it further.
Today I was going to move my '59 camper into the neighbor's driveway where I am storing my '65 standard. Went to move the '65 and there are no brakes: the master is empty of fluid. Brakes were fine when I parked it there last week or so :roll: looks like the Bus gremlins are out after me full force. :x

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:12 am 
Board Member

that sucks Dan.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

der58SC wrote:
that sucks Dan.

Yea, it does! Now he has to drive one of those 356's.....bummer.

66 21 Deluxe

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 am 
Board Member

Joe Flare wrote:
der58SC wrote:
that sucks Dan.

Yea, it does! Now he has to drive one of those 356's.....bummer.

#firstworldproblems

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?