www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:03 pm 
Board Member

OB Bus wrote:
Actually drove the bus for the first time in a week or so. It not only started but ran well.

I've been sick and the bus has been temporarily trapped in the driveway due to street repaving and resealing.

Nice! Feels good to drive the bus doesn't it?

I got my radio installed and rerouted the speaker wire down the A pillar. Cleaned up the look. Tried to set up a cig lighter but I could not get it to work right so I pulled it out. Will try another cig lighter like what I put in the single. Last thing to do is drop the engine and install the alternator.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:28 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

https://img.etsystatic.com/il/5bbe5b/30 ... 885840.jpg

Here is a link

66 21 Deluxe

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 am 
Board Member

Argh.
I've had a cold. The first of the season for both of us (yeah!) but a nasty one (boo!). I did not want to miss any more time at the Y gym so I headed over this morning for a work out. In the '69 bus. As I pulled in the lot I heard a little clank from the back. Figured I'd look at it "some time".
Leaving the Y the clunk got louder and louder. OK, I'll look at it today when I get home.
Then came several more much louder clanks. I pull over to check it out. Yep, the right hand rear shock top bolt had backed out. My mind flashes back to a problem 2-3 years ago. Then the bolt backed out all the way. Did great damage to the threads on the captive nut while backing out. Destroyed both the upper shock eyelet and the bushing. What a mess. I had to find a really big tap to chase the threads, replace the bolt and shocks and then drive on happily.
Until today.
I got the wrenches out, laid down on a gravel covered street and tightened it up. Of course doing anything with the shocks is soooooo much easier with the car jacked up and the wheel off.
But I got it done.

Now home, I need to jack it up, pull the wheel and make sure it is fully tightened down.

Gawd I am getting too old to deal with this stuff.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 pm 
Board Member

glad to hear it didn't cause any major damage and you could get it back on the road.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:12 pm 
Sunshine

OB Bus wrote:
Argh.
I've had a cold. The first of the season for both of us (yeah!) but a nasty one (boo!). I did not want to miss any more time at the Y gym so I headed over this morning for a work out. In the '69 bus. As I pulled in the lot I heard a little clank from the back. Figured I'd look at it "some time".
Leaving the Y the clunk got louder and louder. OK, I'll look at it today when I get home.
Then came several more much louder clanks. I pull over to check it out. Yep, the right hand rear shock top bolt had backed out. My mind flashes back to a problem 2-3 years ago. Then the bolt backed out all the way. Did great damage to the threads on the captive nut while backing out. Destroyed both the upper shock eyelet and the bushing. What a mess. I had to find a really big tap to chase the threads, replace the bolt and shocks and then drive on happily.
Until today.
I got the wrenches out, laid down on a gravel covered street and tightened it up. Of course doing anything with the shocks is soooooo much easier with the car jacked up and the wheel off.
But I got it done.

Now home, I need to jack it up, pull the wheel and make sure it is fully tightened down.

Gawd I am getting too old to deal with this stuff.

Try some locktite.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:44 pm 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
Argh.........

Try some locktite.

Will do!

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am 
Board Member

got annoyed with the camper being torn apart from converting it to 12v and installing the radio so I put it all back together. Now I still need to pull the engine to install the alternator.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am 
Board Member

finally swapped out the 6v generator with a 12v alternator. Didn't even have to pull the motor. The only thing left before I can drive the camper again is to transfer the oil filler from the generator stand to the alternator stand.

After looking at the engine, how often does everyone clean their engine with degreaser and water?

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

As often as needed! :-P

A clean motor is a happy motor! :cool:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:12 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:

My motor is finally clean now that the oil leak is gone!!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Slayer wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

My motor is finally clean now that the oil leak is gone!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 am 
Board Member

Finally got the beam out of the SC. Got a ride lined up for Tuesday to head down to Chula Juana to swap parts with Sergio. I had to cut the shift rod that goes through the beam since it was the only way to get it off. ](*,)

As for the camper... I replaced the plastic storm windows back to the screens.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I swapped the leakyassed 2276 in the Domy with the chakalaky 1700 I built for the Plump Truck. I did split the case on it and re-clearanced what I thought was the chakalaking spot. Well hell! It still has a clacking going on but as it is, I’ll be driving it to QK like that. :roll:

Hopefully it won’t break down on me! 8-[

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
I swapped the leakyassed 2276 in the Domy with the chakalaky 1700 I built for the Plump Truck. I did split the case on it and re-clearanced what I thought was the chakalaking spot. Well hell! It still has a clacking going on but as it is, I’ll be driving it to QK like that. :roll:

Hopefully it won’t break down on me! 8-[

What day are you heading up? Thur?

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Slayer wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Hopefully it won’t break down on me! 8-[.

What day are you heading up? Thur?

Or Wednesday evening :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am 
Board Member

Paid Sergio a little visit yesterday to do the suspension swap. So now let the fun begin of fixing the shift rod (had to cut it) and installing everything.

If anyone would like to swing by and hang out, lend a hand, or just crack jokes at me while I return the SC back to stock height, let me know.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Removed the 2276 from the Dormy 'cause it's become an oil leaker of the worst kind! However, before taking it apart yet again for the umpteenth time, I stripped it, washed it, then fired it up on the stand so it WILL show me just where the hell it is leaking at! :-/

Anyway, here's my testing stand conptraption:

Here's the main culprit in that from here the fan housing would blow it all over the place and make it hard to figure out where the leaks were. :roll:

The fan housing had wore out the pedestal so much that the oil pressure had pushed out the seal just enough to let oil seep out and then get blown out by the fan. You can't really notice from the pix but with the engine running it would blow little bubbles out of it. :sad:

This next pix shows a leak comming from the cylinder stud on the #4 where case pressure pushed out just enough oil to contribute to the massIVe leakage making a royal mess of it all. :sad:

Also found just a bit of oil seeping out of the main stud nuts on the case itself! If you look closer, there's a drop of oil right under the nut. A bit here and a bit there, before you know it it's leaking all over the place! So I had to address that too. :-s

Just finished firing it up again and it at least looks like it isn't leaking at them points any more. 8-[

Now to slap it all together again and putting it in the dormy again, either today or tomorrow. Hopefully drier than before! [-o<

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 am 
Board Member

Very nice man.
Glad it was an ez fix!

65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

NOTHING is easy! :-/

Getting ready to drop the 1700 off the Dormy now. :neutral:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 am 
Board Member

I finally got around to finishing my brackets so I was able to bolt on the fog lights...

Now I just have to decide how I am going to wire them up.

SV2s #436

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next