www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

It has been brought to my attention that perhaps we need to find a new server for our website?
I am not very "computer savvy" but have been offered alternatives by a couple of people who
feel they could do a better job hosting our website on their server.
We have had a problem with the members photo gallery ever since we changed to the server we are
using now. David has been doing a good job updating what he has access to but has stated that he has trouble getting ahold of Stan for other needs/changes.
We are interested in any views of the members on this subject.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm 
Board Member

I agree completely, although I have zero skills to contribute in this area.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:22 am 
Little League Manager

It has absolutely nothing to do with the server. It has to do with code. If any members can do msql database coding that is what needs to be done, I'm pretty sure. It is a little over david's ability I think, that's why are waiting spirit or someone else to modify the code. If you want a full explanation ask the vto twins and they will make your head spin with a explanation. I did sometime last year.

How often does the site go down? How much space do we have? How much bandwidth do we have? How much do we pay? If you get all these answers and go out and get a quote on a new server and if you could even come close to what we have maybe we should consider it. BTW, the gallery is still here on our server, or else all the old pictures would be removed from old threads. I think the answer may be pay someone to go in and redo the code. I think that would far less cheaper and easier.

Member #478
*SBS #16*

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:42 am 
Little League Manager

Here try this
http://www.sv2s.com/community/

You can see our old board version has been shut down. The gallery is living there. I think f you set the old boards active again then you upload files. But then people would start posting across both forums and would turn into a huge mess. There are alternatives that are in many ways better. But I understand people may get board and want to just look through old pictures in one location. Maybe we should just $hi+can the old gallery and start a new one. The old pictures will reman in the post. We just move on from here. I'm not sure the problem is with uploading photos, or access to the old photos. Just know if we move servers we still would have to have the code fixed. We would just be moving the same problem to another location.
It's kinda like saying my bus won't start in my garage, but if I tow it to a new garage it will it start there. Without fixing the problem it still won't start. :???:

Member #478
*SBS #16*

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 am 
Webmaster

hudman wrote:
It has absolutely nothing to do with the server. It has to do with code. If any members can do msql database coding that is what needs to be done, I'm pretty sure. It is a little over david's ability I think, that's why are waiting spirit or someone else to modify the code. If you want a full explanation ask the vto twins and they will make your head spin with a explanation. I did sometime last year.

How often does the site go down? How much space do we have? How much bandwidth do we have? How much do we pay? If you get all these answers and go out and get a quote on a new server and if you could even come close to what we have maybe we should consider it. BTW, the gallery is still here on our server, or else all the old pictures would be removed from old threads. I think the answer may be pay someone to go in and redo the code. I think that would far less cheaper and easier.

WERD. It's msql database coding that is beyond my ability, we have depended on Spirit for his expertise in making the necessary changes to the code and we need him again to make this change, but the only way to get ahold of him is through Stan. I will try him again today and have him check in here.

hudman wrote:
Here try this
http://www.sv2s.com/community/

You can see our old board version has been shut down. The gallery is living there. I think f you set the old boards active again then you upload files. But then people would start posting across both forums and would turn into a huge mess. There are alternatives that are in many ways better. But I understand people may get board and want to just look through old pictures in one location. Maybe we should just $hi+can the old gallery and start a new one. The old pictures will reman in the post. We just move on from here. I'm not sure the problem is with uploading photos, or access to the old photos. Just know if we move servers we still would have to have the code fixed. We would just be moving the same problem to another location.
It's kinda like saying my bus won't start in my garage, but if I tow it to a new garage it will it start there. Without fixing the problem it still won't start. :???:

Yes, the gallery is still there, we just ned to move this community 1 back to community and voila simple as........

SV2s Member #239
1963 Camper - Dormobile(Almost)
1957 Single Cab
1965 Apache Trailer - Silver Eagle

"Camping, cheaper than therapy" - Bill May

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Guys it is the coding that needs to be modified.... I have been real busy with stuff in my personal life.... I will see if i can get one of my programers to take a look at it this weekend to get your photo gallery back up.
if you move to a new server you will still have the same problem. You need to modify the code.... I will post back soon

Stan

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of "programmers" in the "Syndicate". I'll ask them
if they are able to do this and what they need. Would this resolve
the issues with the @sv2s.com email as well?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 am 
SV2s Graucho

single wheel Aaron says he can do more than just spell computer.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Actually, Bill, I'm sure most of us can, but how does this information
pertain to the topic at hand? Maybe a little more ambiguity on your
part :-k

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 pm 
SV2s Graucho

:grin: Stan Ford fixed.VVVVVVTTTTTOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Last edited by bill may on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:44 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
P.A. wrote:
Actually, Bill, I'm sure most of us can, but how does this information
pertain to the topic at hand? Maybe a little more ambiguity on your
part :-k

he is an IT guy. this is what he does.

As do the 2 guys in the Syndicate. The problem is who would be willing
to look into this. One of the guys worked with msql, so all he needs is
the coding, I guess. If Aaron will do it, AWESOME! If not we have other
options. It would be nice to resolve this, especially after a year or so.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Ok guys the old calendar and photo gallery are not compatable with the new forums... James aka Spirit has added a new gallery to the forums.... All you need is for the site admin to log into the administration panel and click on mods and configure the gallery the way you want it. Sorry for the delay....

Stan
PS backup the site before making changes...

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 pm 
Little League Manager

Thanks Stan. :cool:

Member #478
*SBS #16*