www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm 
Board Member

I'll finish this up here.

After the last sequence of big storms I was way behind schedule and really tired of the exercise. Our daughter was back from her trip and dividing 2 available cars over 3 active people was getting to be a strain. The yellow looked decent from about 35 feet but it was really rough and orange peeled.

I had enough yellow for one more coat, so I broke out the 600 grit wet-or-dry and went after all the yellow parts. I hand sanded down to "smooth as a baby's butt". I taped up the top and grabbed my spray rig, mask and gloves. I got all set to spray and the air supply hose from the blower to the gun ripped off. Not pulled out, but ripped. It left a hunk of hose in the gun that would not come out. Break out the duct tape and sealed it up. The spraying went well and looked pretty good.

I started to take the gun apart to clean it and, yes, that metal casting broke again. That was it. This gun was done. Just left it uncleaned. $29 dead and buried.

After the paint dried I pulled off the tape and paper and admired my work. While I had sanded down to a smooth surface it was still lumpy. I should have sanded with 200 first, then the finer grits later. That would have cut off more of the high spots. Oh well, I was done.

The windshield being out and the tarps blowing off meant the entire dash was soaked. The turn signal relay/blinker (4-post) was toast. New 4 post units are NLA. Replacement 4-post units will not make the turn signals blink on a Bay. Called Mike @ Mike's Foreign and he instructed me to get a cheap 2 blade blinker and splice it in. That fixed the turn signals. That shot 2 days to fix.

Aftermarket "universal" (fit left or right) Bay front turn signal lenses are complete junk.

Aftermarket tail light assemblies ($22 at Airhead Parts) are wonderful! They look good and are really bright.

I took the opportunity to clean up the wiring under the dash. What a complete mess that was. It is so-much-easier to work on it with the dash out.

Left to do:

Bumpers back on.
Roo Bar back on.
Dash back on.
Wire in aux gauges.
Replace carpet in the front and middle area.

Would I do it again? Not with time pressures. As I got behind schedule I cut corners and went too fast. Not good. Painting is an art. I am not an artist. I am glad In live on Ocean Beach. Everyone in the neighborhood loved watching the project. (Live and let live; what a novel thought!) I try to imagine living with a Home Owners Assoc. I would have had a cease-and-desist order from "Norma Nazi" the HOA compliance freak.

I'll post the final steps in the What-did-you-do-for-your-bus-today thread.

Thanks for folowing.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:57 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Now that your bus is yellow all the bees will love you. Ask my yellow New Beetle how I know this.
Congrats on it all, Larry!

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202