www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The OB Bus 69 Pop top
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:37 pm 
Board Member

OK my bus was ugly. No dispute there.
What original paint that was there was sort of OK. Several attempts at rust remediation and the use of multi-colored paint and primer made things worse. The nose had a lot of problems.
And upon closer inspection a bunch of rot behind the front bumper.
Worst was the rust bubbles that were festering all round the windshield seal.
and...

There is a really long set of threads about rolling on Rustoleum (on the MoParts forums; don't have the link anymore.) In the middle of those hundreds of pages several people reported trying Interlux Brightside marine paint.

I'd used this on the pop top and it is great. It self levels and has a great shine without buffing. Expensive at $41/quart. In the same thread there were comments about using inexpensive tubine HVLP sprayers from Harbor Freight. So I asked for on several years ago for Father's Day and the family got me...

I do not have a welder and do not know how to weld. Body work was going to be done without welding metal. Body work and Bondo work are art forms. I am not an artist. I wanted to do this myself. I had never painted a car. Never sprayed paint except for rattle cans. Our garage is full and there is no where covered to paint. The painting would be done in our front yard. Our daughter was going on a school trip for 11 days so there would be a spare car while the bus was being fixed. That was my window of opportunity. Thus the fun began.

SV2s Member #401

Last edited by OB Bus on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I see yellow paint....

I know the bus is yellow now.....

Waiting with baited breath for more.....

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:12 am 
Board Member

More to come..when time allows.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:59 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

If only our newsletter was in color!!! Aargh!!!

SV2s Member#129

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 am 
Board Member

OK starting with the nose. 5-6 years ago I had a big rust through spot on the loser valance and fixed it.
Purists please look away at this point.
I ground out the rust, vacuumed out the pieces inside the valance, soaked the inner area with Hammerite rust neutralizer / encapsulater, backed up the opening with 1/2" hardware cloth, and a skim coat of bondo to smooth it out. That part shows no signs of rust to this date.
The windshield seal was still leaking for all those year and water continued to pour inside the nose. Thus a nose that rusted many other places and now looked like this:
Remember: I have no welder and no metal working skills.
So I used a similar method as above, grinding, vacuuming, spraying with rust nuetralizer and/or Hammerite and/or Rustoleum Rust neutralizing Primer, then primer and paint inside. Hardware cloth to back it up and a skim coat of Bondo.
Cleaned up and ready for primer it came out like:
Came out a bit lumpy but the worst is behind the bumper.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:18 am 
Board Member

Windshield...
This is what happens when the windshield seal leaks for 10 or 15 years.

There were several stretches of rust through but (for the most part) the lip was intact. Over the years I have meet a number of people who did windshield lip repair using POR15 and fiberglass cloth. One guy has 6 years on his POR job with no issues. So I went out and got the 1 quart can of POR15. Nasty stuff. Everything I heard about it was true. Wear gloves. I cleaned up the remaining metal with a grinder and wire wheel, used Metal Prep, cleaned thoroughly and started. One coat of POR, then the small pieces of glass fiber (maybe 2" by 3"), then a top coat of POR. Wait 24 hours to fully cure and then rough up the surface, and repeat on the low spots.

The stuff does dry like iron. The a long sequence of grinding the excess on the lip, roughing the POR, thin skim of Bondo, sand, paint a guide coat of primer, lather rinse repeat several times. This took forever.

Note #1: If I were to do it again I wold not overlap the fiberglass cloth on each layer. I'd butt then against each other and then overlap on subsequent layer(s). The overlap seams took a long time to grind off.
Note #2: I found out that Bondo does not stick to POR unless you rough up the POR.
Note #3: The combo of POR and fiber glass makes a really tough patch. I have read about people using it on floor holes and it really does work.

Yes welding new metal would have been "better" and more permanent, but no welder, no skills and no time.
The windshield installer guys (more on that later) told me they see big problems with VWs when new steel is welded in and the alignment is less than perfect. They have cracked many windshields when the alignment is off.

SV2s Member #401

Last edited by OB Bus on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:22 am 
Board Member

Two things I noted on this picture. First was a cat hair on the camera lens (we have 4 cats). Second was the yellow gunk in the rust hole just below the "Gold's Gym" sticker. Yes someone way back in time must have sprayed some of that "Great Stuff" spray foam insulator stuff to try to slow the leaks. It did not help.

OB Bus wrote:
Windshield...

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:51 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

One thing I noticed on this picture...

You've been pumping iron???? :???:

:razz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:40 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
You've been pumping iron???? :???:
:razz:

Nope it came with the bus.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

The only problem with painting your bus bright yellow is that now you stick out like a sore thumb. Like yesterday when you were driving East on I-8 just passed SDSU at about 1:30pm. I was heading West and saw you. :lol:

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:14 pm 
Board Member

Fish wrote:
The only problem with painting your bus bright yellow is that now you stick out like a sore thumb. Like yesterday when you were driving East on I-8 just passed SDSU at about 1:30pm. I was heading West and saw you. :lol:

Yep that was me heading to visit my step-mum. I refer to the yellow as "high visibility".

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:05 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Thanks for the post Larr....I mean OB. As I
have a 3" seciton to repair around my window and
will also use this method to repair the rain gutter
it should work.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:50 am 
SV2s Graucho

you own 4 cats and forgot to ask for "kitty hair" instead of talcum powder with a binder? :???:

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:10 am 
Board Member

bill may wrote:
you own 4 cats and forgot to ask for "kitty hair" instead of talcum powder with a binder? :???:

And we have two dogs, too!

Used a lot of kitty hair as well as the smooth stuff. More later.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm 
Board Member

Cleaned up the lip on the windshield channel
then primed the frame. Sanded down the entire body with 400 and made the move from the street to the front yard. Did the masking and taping, then I set me up a paint booth...or what I thought would be one:

Problem is that we have the benefit of that steady ocean breeze at our house. The front yard is not shielded at all from the on-shore flow. A steady breeze and those light plastic drop clothes led to disaster.

Before I even started painting the tarps started billowing into the bus. I put bricks down around the base and leaned 2x4s to hold the tarps away. It didn't work. After I painted the white on the upper part the wind blew a bit harder and "kissed" the wet paint several places.

Anyway, on to the paint.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:59 pm 
Board Member

The Interlux Brightside paint is neat stuff. It is pricey @ $41/qt, but it does cover well. I have used it on the pop top and it lays down really nice and has a great shine. A guy who posts on the mopar forums and used this paint with a cheap HVLP gun. He gave me his thinning instructions, which had me cut the paint with 20% Penetrol and 20% mineral spirits. I tested the mix and the gun on a scrap piece of plywood and it looked good. (Remember, I have never painted a care before. Que forbodeing music.)

So I sprayed:

The mix was way too thin and the paint ran everywhere. Note the runs on the lower part of the body. Yipes. Let the paint dry and started sanding the runs. What a mess.

Then I sprayed the second coat on the top. This time I used about 20% penetrol and 5% mineral spirits.

This was the best single run of this whole job. Paint covered well, laid down smooth and with no runs. Note the smooth and shiny back corners? I was hot stuff.

Pull the paper and tape off and...

Notes: I should have painted the entire bus with the white so I has a smooth and consistent primer base. The blue masking tape worked great. At times it stayed on new paint for three days with no pull off. The paper I got from Home Depot, 24" wide and about $13 for a roll that was 100?+ feet long. Much better than newspapers.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 pm 
Board Member

On to the yellow.
With various problems I was way behind schedule. Remember those big rains in January? They were on the horizon.
After the second coat of white I was taking the gun apart to clean it. The upper part of the gun (that the paint pot attaches to) is made of cast mystery metal. How did I find out? It broke into two pieces. The air feed from the blower to the pot is simply a hole in the casting. No time to get another so I McGuivered a fix. Hacksawed the two parts sort of smooth and used 5 minute epoxy to glue it together. To keep that air passage open I worked a bamboo skewer back and forth through the opening until the epoxy dried. It worked. (For a while.)

Shot the first layer of yellow:

Time was getting tense with the rain coming. And I had the windshield out too. Got the gun ready and **snap** the epoxy cracked..but did not break off. Clear silicone sealer, a piece of flexible plastic and a hose clamp and we were go for paint.

Shot the second coat of yellow in a hurry. (Cue scary music). The gun was not atomizing the paint but spitting it. Could have been a thinning issue or a feed mixture screw issue. Probably some operator error also. I did not notice until I was finished with the paint. Oh snap. Nothing I would do but let it dry.

Dry? Here came the rains. I was out of action for 5 days. With the windshield off. Day two of the storm the tarps blew off and for an hour or two the rain poured in the wide open dash. Water + electrons are a bad combination.

At this point I announced to my family "this is my first and last car paint job."

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:27 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Can't WAIT for the next installment!!!!!

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:38 am 
Board Member

The weather forecast showed a short break in the storms. The windshield had to get back in. I called All Star Glass..they had both the tinted windshield with the big blue band at the top as well as the one with no band. I took the clearer one. They required a new seal and the only one they would use is what Vee Parts sells. I made the appointment to get it put in and ran to VeeParts in National City for the seal.
With just a few hours before the rain was to appear two fine gentlemen showed up at the house. It took them no more than 30 minutes from start to finish.

The used probably 10 specialized tools as well as the lubricant and string to get it in. Lots of shifting, tugging, gentle slaps with the palm of their hand and it popped right in.

There is no way I could have put this thing in myself. Total cost including the seal was $230. And if it did break on installation, no sweat to me!

The glass is no-name Chinese. According to the installers they get little or no aftermarket US or Canadian glass anymore. For a while they got a lot of glass from Columbia and Brazil. Now mostly Chinese. "Every shipment of glass we get is worse than the previous one."

They have done a number of windshield replacements for both Splits and Bays. The biggest problem is when new steel has been welded in. If the alignment of the new steel is not perfect (in a Bay) the glass snaps. The other big problem is when the lip has been repaired and the dimensions of the opening have been changed. Either the windshield won't go in, or it falls out. :shock:

In my case I still had 95% of the original lip edge still there so I could easily keep the dimensions of the opening stock.

At lest now the bus was weather sealed.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:54 am 
Board Member

OB Bus wrote:

At this point I announced to my family "this is my first and last car paint job."

Now after you see the finished product you must feel pretty good.

Your bus looks Great! And the fact that you did it yourself.....Some personal satisfaction!!

Congrats on a job well done!!

Until the next time..

:smt040

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231