www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:13 am 
Board Member

Woohooo, I've got a new (to me) beam in the SC! Thanks to Pyro for the guidance and assistance, not to mention the space and most of the tools required for the job. Plus I got to pull my engine for the first time. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I'm glad the mystery clutch problem was such an easy fix. In the process of pulling the beam, I had to disconnect the clutch cable and this caused enough slack on the throw-out arm to allow the throw-out bearing to drop off the side that was missing a retaining clip. I pulled the engine, stuck the throw-out bearing back in place, installed a clip from Pyro's stash and it was good to go. My steering has improved a little bit but it's still pretty loose. I can see a steering box replacement in my future. Anyone got a box they don't need?

Shawn
Member #420
'65 SC (now Louis's)
'68 Westy!

Post subject: Re: 4th of July
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:39 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Happy 4th of July 2014 everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful and safe day.

A little history. The Story of the Fourth of July

The Declaration of Independence

We celebrate American Independence Day on the Fourth of July every year. We think of July 4, 1776, as a day that represents the Declaration of Independence and the birth of the United States of America as an independent nation. But July 4, 1776 wasn't the day that the Continental Congress decided to declare independence (they did that on July 2, 1776).

It wasn’t the day we started the American Revolution either (that had happened back in April 1775). And it wasn't the day Thomas Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence (that was in June 1776). Or the date on which the Declaration was delivered to Great Britain (that didn't happen until November 1776). Or the date it was signed (that was August 2, So what did happen on July 4, 1776?

The Continental Congress approved the final wording of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. They'd been working on it for a couple of days after the draft was submitted on July 2nd and finally agreed on all of the edits and changes. July 4, 1776, became the date that was included on the Declaration of Independence, and the fancy handwritten copy that was signed in August
(the copy now displayed at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.) It’s also the date that was printed on the Dunlap Broadsides, the original printed copies of the Declaration that were circulated throughout the new nation. So when people thought of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776 was the date they remembered.

In contrast, we celebrate Constitution Day on September 17th of each year, the anniversary of the date the Constitution was signed, not the anniversary of the date it was approved. If we would followed this same approach for the Declaration of Independence we would be celebrating Independence Day on August 2nd of each year, the day the Declaration of Independence was signed!

How did the Fourth of July become a national holiday?

For the first 15 or 20 years after the Declaration was written, people didn’t celebrate it much on any date. It was too new and too much else was happening in the young nation. By the 1790s, a time of bitter partisan conflicts, the Declaration had become controversial. One party, the Democratic-Republicans, admired Jefferson and the Declaration. But the other party, the Federalists, thought the Declaration was too French and too anti-British, which went against their current policies. By 1817, John Adams complained in a letter that America seemed uninterested in its past. But that would soon change.

After the War of 1812, the Federalist Party began to come apart and the new parties of the 1820s and 1830s all considered themselves inheritors of Jefferson and the Democratic-Republicans. Printed copies of the Declaration began to circulate again, all with the date July 4, 1776, listed at the top. The deaths of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams on July 4, 1826, may even have helped to promote the idea of July 4 as an important date to be celebrated.

Celebrations of the Fourth of July became more common as the years went on and in 1870, almost a hundred years after the Declaration was written, Congress first declared July 4 to be a national holiday as part of a bill to officially recognize several holidays, including Christmas. Further legislation about national holidays, including July 4, was passed in 1939 and 1941.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:05 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Thanks for that great historical note, Chris Fish! =D>

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:27 am 
Board Member - SD Chapter Rep.

Happy 4th of July

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." --W. Shakespeare

SV2s # 393

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

miranda_65 wrote:
Happy 4th of July

=D>

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.