Since I was recently asked about the Gift Exchange etiquette, I thought it might be appropriate to repost this from last year's party. I didn't consult with David if there have been any changes to this, nevertheless, here it is:
Holiday Party Gift Exchange Etiquette
I wanted to bring to your attention, some guidelines and rules for this years SD and OC Christmas party.
These GUIDELINES are merely suggestions as to the way SV2s has been conducting these gift exchanges. These are merely suggestions, they are not rules.
The RULES are unwritten (Until now) and many longtime members understand these rules. However, with so many new members in the club participating in the gift exchange, we’ve come to a point where these rules need to be addressed so that everyone participating has a fun time at this event. Everyone participating in this year's event need to abide by these.
I know that this may be somewhat trivial to have to create this list of guidelines and rules, but it’s time. Many members have approached me regarding their valid concerns over the gift exchange, and how many people seem to have forgotten or simply don’t know the way things are SUPPOSED to happen. So these rules and guidelines address these direct concerns from members, so here it is……….
1. Most members have traditionally MADE a gift instead of bringing a store bought gift. This gave people a creative outlet and every year, it was exciting to see what new, ingenious gifts were brought to the party.
2. If a gift was purchased, NO PROBLEM, but we have traditionally asked members to make sure the gift is at MINIMUM worth $25.
3. The Christmas party has traditionally been an ADULT only affair.
4. If kids were brought to the party, and in recent years this has been the case, one suggestion from a member with kids was to bring a gift for their kid so they can unwrap it.
5. Most people don’t drive their buses to this event unless the bus really is their daily driver. Most of us take the FAMILY car to this event. Quick trip there and home, especially with it being December.
*6. Everyone that brings a gift gets a raffle ticket, and everyone usually takes home a raffle item. If you have something to donate, bring it to the party.
1. Gift must be a MINIMUM $25 value. It’s not fair that someone who MADE their gift spent $45 in materials (VW Blanket), a few hours of their time making the gift and ended up going home with a $2 trinket.
2. Kids have been participating in this gift exchange and in the last few years I’ve seen many kids crying over a gift that was stolen from them. THIS IS THE WAY THE GAME WORKS. This year we ask that no kids under the age of 12 participate in the gift exchange.
3. If you are not a current/paid member, YOU CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS EVENT.
4. 3 steals. The last few years, we’ve had to cut the amount of steals to 2 steals. It takes a while to get through 40 to 50 gifts at 3 steals each. This change has diluted the exchange and many members want to bring back the 3 steals. So this year and from now on 3 steals per gift no matter how long it takes.
5. On the third steal, the gift is yours (If you’re the one that stole it for the third time)
6. If someone steals a gift from you, you cannot steal it back right away, it has to be stolen from someone else first before you can steal it back.
7. SV2s does NOT foot the bill for this event, you pay for your food and drinks. Yes, we’ve had to pay for a few people who forgot to pay.
So there you go, more RULES that you need to follow. Seriously though. These guidelines and rules are actual concerns from members, and we the officers brainstormed these guidelines and rules as a group for everyone to consider and reflect on before coming to the Christmas party.
See you all December 12 at 5pm.
*Please note: There's no guarantee that any raffle will take place in this year's party. TBA at the party.